...How am I supposed to pay?

Hello, I’m kind of stuck trying to sign up for Dreamhost.
I want to sign up for yearly payment with a $97 coupon, so I’m supposed to pay $22.40 for the first year. This is really AWESOME.

However, when I look at payment options, the only options I have are 1.) gift certificate, 2.) Google Checkout, 3.) Check/MO.

1.) I don’t have a gift certificate.
2.) Checkout is unavailable here atm because of choke-you-to-death transaction security regulations (S. Korea)
3.) Sending a check/MO by express mail costs $20 extra.

lol… see my dilemma?
I do have a credit card that works internationally, but there’s no way I can efficiently pay Dreamhost. I also read some posts here that the $97 coupon is only going to work until 12/11? That’s less than 48 hours from now… :frowning:

What to do??

complete the signup first.

Then send all requiered informations to support, they will probably ask you to fax your credit card for verification.

Get [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] Off with promo code :[color=#CC0000]97USA[/color] :cool: -->choose your plan (promo code included)

Sweeeeet!

Thanks a lot!

Hmm, what do you mean by “unavailable”? Dreamhost is offering you the option of paying by Google Checkout so it’s not that you can’t try to use it. Are you saying that it always fails?

3 extra lifetime domains and $52 off with code [color=#CC0000]3DOM52[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. More Dreamhost coupons

No, it doesn’t fail… I can’t even get to that point. When you register for a Checkout account, you have to tell them what country you’re in, so that your address can be input accurately. Korea’s not on the country list (Gmail and other things are available, Checkout isn’t). :frowning:

Here, you need a certificate saved on your hard drive, flash drive, or cell phone to do internet banking of any sort. It has your personal and bank-related info encrypted on it. I don’t know for sure but I don’t think Google wants to go through all the hassle of incorporating that stuff into their Checkout code just yet.

BTW, I’ve completed signup and got my acct#. I’ll post what reply I get after I send Support an email about my situation.

Well, here’s my update. I received a reply in 2 hrs:

I guess I have to think some more about this.
DreamHost is still an awesome deal – I just dislike having to pay for things through the mail.

Hrmph… :-S

Wow, that’s interesting (and complicated and frustrating, I can imagine).

So do all businesses wanting to do online payment in South Korea having to support certificate-based authentication or something? Or is it some special country-specific system? I guess I could look this up myself…

This sounds very inconvenient (but very secure, I suppose). Does everyone put up with it or do businesses create offshore entities to do business with offshore vendors? Of course, it could be me who is stuck in the dark ages suggesting something ridiculous… :slight_smile:

3 extra lifetime domains and $52 off with code [color=#CC0000]3DOM52[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. More Dreamhost coupons

That is a fast one!

You will definitely need a credit card if you are not confident with check. I had to sign up a google checkout account when I purchased my hosting plan. Although I did not use checkout any more, it was still worth to do it for DH.

Save $97 (MAX Discount) with code: [color=#CC0000]97YES[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

Patrick, you should note the part of the OP’s reply where he says that Google Checkout is not available in Korea.

(In reply to Lensman several posts above)

Well, it’s kind of off-topic :wink: and I’m just a regular consumer with skimpy knowledge about this stuff. I can’t explain everything, but I’ll relate some experiences instead…

I do feel more secure with my money here than when I was in the States but it IS frustrating and time-consuming as hell sometimes.

Paying for stuff in real stores and restaurants is the same as anywhere else – sliding your card, signing the receipt, keeping the duplicate they give you – it’s just the online payment process that’s usually a few steps more complicated.

For one, if you want to do any form of online banking, you need to have the certificate I mentioned above. The kind that’s issued for free only lets you make purchases under $300(I think) per order. You have to pay ~$2 to get a 1-year certificate that lets you purchase stuff freely. They’re issued online by most banks and tie in with our citizen# (kind of like the SS#), and you need to register all your credit cards, bank accts, etc to yours (you can only have one at a time), then save it to your computer/flash drive/cell phone.

I think I’ve been asked for this thing and the password I set on it about 95% of the time I made online purchases from a Korean site. Every time I lose the certificate data or don’t bother to bring it with me when I use someone else’s computer to make a purchase, I have to deactivate the old one and get another issued. I had mine saved on my cell phone last year and had to get it reissued 3 times because some sites didn’t support cell phone certificates. The story goes on and on…

One thing that was really strange was when I lost my wallet on a bus for a day, I reported my cards lost. Luckily, the bus company found it and I got them back the next day, but when I went to the two banks to get them reissued, they just reactivated both instead of reissuing. One of the banks was Citibank! Strange? :-S

Anyways, about dealing with foreign businesses: from the consumer’s perspective, I don’t need anything special to order internationally from eBay, etc. – just the same things you guys need. I’m not sure how domestic companies sell to foreign customers, though. I just realized that for the first time. 99.9% of Korean websites require you to input your citizen#, or, if you’re a foreigner living in Korea, your foreigner registration# (it’s a racist name but that’s how they call it…) to register for an account. If you live in another country and don’t have either, you can’t get an account at all. I guess that’s one of the big limitations businesses have here.

One exception to security is Paypal. They don’t have the added security measures on their site, but I’ve been able to send and receive money from the U.S. with it – maybe because they’re still completely based in the States. I heard they’re frowned upon by the government because of it, though. Even the Korean eBay affiliate, Auction.co.kr, doesn’t have Paypal as a payment option.

Whew!! There are several more implications that will REALLY bore you to death that I won’t get into. Hope I settled your curiosity a little bit, though :wink:

[quote]
You will definitely need a credit card if you are not confident with check. I had to sign up a google checkout account when I purchased my hosting plan. Although I did not use checkout any more, it was still worth to do it for DH.[/quote]
Patrick, like Lensman said, I want to register for Checkout. It’s just a country-specific problem for me, I guess.

Sending a check/MO isn’t easy because 1.) our personal checks are not cashable in the U.S. 2.) post offices here don’t seem to carry international money orders these days 3.) it’s risky, slow, and basically a big hassle 4.) it’s illegal to send any form of cash internationally through the post office so I have to sweet-talk the GUY into letting me send it, lol (I’m male)… otherwise I have to use DHL which charges $40.

The community seems to be supportive, though, and the Panel is really nice. I’m still trying to decide. :wink:

To Lensman and Grape

Sorry I did not read the post carefully.

In that case, we have to roll back to moua’s suggestion. Actually somebody did it before. They sign up account first, then use credit card to make the payment.

I’m not sure whether DH has disabled the credit card payment. Maybe you can try to send them another email and tell them your situation clearly. Maybe (or luckily) the person who handled your case is not very sure about credit card payment.

What else can we do :frowning:

Save $97 (MAX Discount) with code: [color=#CC0000]97YES[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

NP, thanks for your advice. I’m emailing them again to ask about that and also whether my price will stay at $22.40 if I pay by check and it arrives a week later.

Wow, thanks for the detailed explanation in your post, grape. It’s fascinating, and, I suspect, something like it will be in our future here in the States - particularly for financial transactions.

Make sure to provide support with a link to this thread. I’m sure it will lend you some sympathy!

I suspect that as long as your initial signup is today, you’ll be fine on the promo code discount. But if not, you could always have some extra domains for future frivolous use! :slight_smile:

Again, good luck. Let me know if there’s anything I can do to help (though as my wife says, I’m generally useless except when it comes to fixing her computer and even that has changed with Vista).

I’m somewhat relieved to hear that I am not the only one that can’t seem to “fix” Vista.

My youngest daughter took a new “Vista crippled” laptop off to college, and it has been really hard trying to support that from 3,000 miles away.

The school IT staff try to help, but the are still in the XP camp, so there is only so much they are up to speed on at this point. It’s a shame, really, because her hardware is a nice little machine …

–rlparker

lmao, my copy of Vista is under my bed. :slight_smile:
(sluggy computer)

About support, I got a reply in 30 minutes this time. Too bad it’s bad news:

We no longer take direct credit card payments for the initial signups for
hosting. Once you have an approved account, we do offer that option.

[quote]In case the answer is no, I would like to send payment by mail. This leads me
to further questions, though. I cannot get personal checks or money orders
that can be banked in the U.S., however I can get traveler’s checks from the
bank. Do you accept those?

[/quote]

We can only accept checks or money orders, unfortunately.

[quote]Lastly, I would like to make sure whether my discounted price (after $97 off)
of $22.40 for the first year would still be effective if the check is
delivered to you after the coupon’s 12/11 expiration date.

[/quote]

Yes, we will honor that promo code discount.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!
Patrick M
[/quote]
3 things have been cleared up:
-they will NOT accept traveler’s checks
-they will honor the promo code as long as you sign up by 12/11
-you’re in the green with direct credit card payments if you’re already a customer

I guess that’s it. Thanks for trying to help, guys! I appreciate it :wink:

I fixed a Vista computer once…

…I installed Ubuntu.

Wholly - Use promo code WhollyMindless for full 97$ credit until 12/11/07.

LOL.

In the ultimate in embarrassment, I’ve just had to revert to a previous version of my system files because I had somehow royally messed up my codecs.

[quote]I fixed a Vista computer once…

…I installed Ubuntu.[/quote]
Yeah, baby! All sweetness and light in the previously bitter and dark space that M$ used to fill. :slight_smile:

–rlparker

I have to say that a box that sucks running Vista is pretty darn sweet on Ubuntu…

Wholly - Use promo code WhollyMindless for full 97$ credit until 12/11/07.