Hosting without DNS

I already have another server, and would like to keep my DNS there. I can’t seem to find a way to setup hosting in the control panel without have the DNS hosted at Dreamhost as well. Is this possible?

Yes, but the procedure is a little involved.

Firstly, you need to add the relevant domain(s) to the DreamHost hosting system via the panel at Domains -> Manage Domains -> Add New Domain / Sub-Domain, add them as Fully Hosted.

Now, you need to obtain the IP addresses that have been assigned to the domain(s). You can do this by clicking on the DNS link beneath the domain name on the Manage Domains page and making a note of the IP address assigned to the blank A-Record or ‘WWW’ A-Record.

Lastly, you can use this IP address to create the relevant DNS records at your name server.

Note: The IP address obtained above is subject to change, so you will need to keep track of this. Although, in reality the IP address will not change too often.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

I’ve tried that, but I get this error:

Can’t add domain: you don’t have permission to add to wibble.net.

In this case I am trying to create hosting for a subdomain of wibble.net (a domain I own and manage elsewhere).

Unfortunately if this isn’t possible then Dreamhost isn’t a lot of use to me :frowning:

Unfortunately, the DreamHost system will not let you add the sub-domain unless the parent domain has already been added. As a work-around, you can add the parent domain to the hosting system before attempting to add the sub-domain. This will not affect the hosting of the parent domain elsewhere and is strictly a work-around to prevent the error you are seeing when trying to add the sub-domain.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)