Hosting without dns change

Hi everybody,

I have a new client for website hosting but he wants to keep his email hosted with his old provider. What should I ask this provider so we don’t disrupt my client’s emails and just host the website domain in dreamhost?

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards.
Rafael Contreras

You will need to get the IP address of the webserver here. In the panel, click Account Status in the upper right to get the MACHINE name. Then use a DNS tool to get the IP address for MACHINE.dreamhost.com. That’s the IP address you need to give the old provider so they can add an A record for the website.

-Scott

Thank you Scott.

What about dreamhost? Should I just add the domain to my control panel?

Kind regards
Rafael

[quote]You will need to get the IP address of the webserver here. In the panel, click Account Status in the upper right to get the MACHINE name. Then use a DNS tool to get the IP address for MACHINE.dreamhost.com. That’s the IP address you need to give the old provider so they can add an A record for the website.

[/quote]

No, this is incorrect and will not work. Our web servers have multiple IPs which are assigned semi-arbitrarily, and which are not interchangeable.

…and to get the IP address assigned, you have to have added the domain using the Web Panel as “Fully Hosted”, then go to the DNS page and look at the value for the A record, and hope it doesn’t change.

Customer since 2000 :cool: openvein.org | Please don’t feed the trolls. :@

That’s a biggie, too. If the client can afford it go for an unique IP option.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

Thanks for clearing that up. The Atropos method is much simpler and effective. Should your website/IP address get changed, obviously the site will die and IP address is a good thing to change.

With all this in mind, you can point DNS here and configure the MX and mail server records here to match those of your other host.
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Mx

Once DNS here is properly configured, you can modify your WHOIS information to use the DreamHost DNS rather than that of your old host.
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/DNS

-Scott