Hosting two domains

Hi. I’m currently hosting my own website, but am interested in hosting a friend’s website on the same plan. I know I can host multiple domains on the same plan, but how do I let my friend access the directory for his website and only his website. In other words, I don’t want him to be able to access any of my stuff.

I have another question in that’s in the same vein. One of the classes I’m taking involves a group project where files have to be swapped. I’m thinking of using the extra space I have to allow ftp access for all members of the group to upload/download files. How do I limit their access to just the directory that has the files for the project?

Create a second user; put the extra domain under that user.

Same for the FTP login - just create a new user. I wouldn’t suggest giving shared FTP access to our server to lots of people though - either setup some sort of upload script on your site, or else setup anonymous FTP (if your plan supports it).

will wrote:

[/quote]

Can you be more explicit on how to do this, please. It’s easy to figure out how to create a user, but I can’t figure out how to put a domain “under” that user.

Thanks in advance for your help.

[quote]Can you be more explicit on how to do this, please. It’s easy to
figure out how to create a user, but I can’t figure out how to put a
domain “under” that user.

[/quote]

If you edit the domain’s web service, here:

https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=domain.web

…you’ll be given an option of which user account to host it under.

Hope this helps,

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

First, create the user.

Second, go to Domains -> Add Domain.

1. Type in the domain, and submit.
  2. Choose the plan, and submit.
  3. You will see:

[code]o A Fully Hosted Domain.

Web Directory: /home/______/example.com/
Logs Directory: /home/username/logs/example.com/
o Run PHP as CGI? (highly recommended)
All CGI should run as user: ______
[/code]Now, the ______ spaces will be drop-down menus with your available users. Choose the user that you just created for both of these.

:cool: Perl / MySQL / HTML+CSS

Thanks very much for the prompt replies, Atropos7 and Jeff. I appreciate it.