Hosting someone else's domain

A friend of mine has just registered a domain with DH. She’s not very technical and has asked if I can host it on my account. Can I host a domain registered to another DH account?

if both of you are members of DH, your friend can grant some access to you on her domain.

To do that, check DH panel --> Account --> Account Privileges You can then have the access to the web directory of your friend’s domain. You may want to refer to wiki for more information. http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/KB_/Account_Control_Panel/Billing::_Account_Privileges

I do not know how to host the domain in your account. It seems prehabitted between DH accounts.

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].

Does your friend have a hosting plan under her account or only the domain? If she only has the domain then unfortunately Nathan’s suggestion won’t work.

Hosting the domain under your account, while it is registered under a different DreamHost account is going to be difficult (or impossible). Strangely, the whole process would be much simpler if your friend had the domain registered some place other than DreamHost.

If your friend agrees, you could have the domain moved to your account, but I believe only DreamHost support can arrange this.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Why is that? It was easy with domains registered elsewhere.

tor.eff.org

Yeah, with domains registered elsewhere you simply need to configure them to use the DreamHost name servers, add the domain to the DreamHost hosting system and the jobs done.

However, if the domain is registered under a different account at DreamHost, it will already be configured to use the DreamHost name servers and I suspect that simply adding the domain to the hosting system under the other DreamHost account may not be possible, or if it is possible to add the domain, it may still not work, due to the accounts being on different physical servers.

Having said this, I am not absolutely sure it will not work, as I have never tried it. Perhaps the original poster can simply add his friend’s domain to the hosting system via the panel at Domains -> Manage Domains -> Add New Domain/Sub-Domain and it will work as intended, it is definitely worth a try.

If it does work, I apologize to the original poster for misleading them, but it can’t be that simple, can it? :wink:

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

I agree with mark. If the domain is already registered in DH, the domain will stick with the account. I think you can’t transfer to or host in another DH account.

If the domain is registered elsewhere, it is a different case. You can host the domain in DH by setting up the DNS as what mark suggested.

I just recal something. You can’t transfer domains between promotional accounts. If you did not use any promo code to sign up your account, you may have a chance to host the domain in a different account. But we assume it is not easy. You can first try mark’s method to add new domain/sub domain. If it does not work, you can contact DH support for solutions.

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].