Hosting needed during development?

Hey,
I don’t want to pay a monthly hosting fee while I am developing the content on my site. Is that possible? I plan on buying a Wordpress theme and hosting it on dream host once it is ready. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Frank

Sure, you can set your computer up to develop locally and then develop locally.

If you’re asking if dreamhost will give you a free account for development, they will not.

What your really asking is the equivalent of touring a retail space that’s available for rent. Turning to the landlord and saying, “this space is great! Can I have it for free while I get my store ready? I’m not sure how long it will take to get ready maybe a month, maybe 10 months or more, but I don’t want to pay monthly rent while I’m getting things ready to go.”

I wrote this tutorial not too long ago to describe one method to develop a WordPress site using VVV and git: https://www.dreamhost.com/blog/2017/01/12/use-vagrant-git-develop-wordpress-theme/

If all you need to develop is a theme though, VVV may be a bit too much. There are other quick ways to get a local development sandbox. Mamp for example https://www.mamp.info/ is a quite popular way to create a PHP development environment.

Hope this helps

There is also Instant WordPress: http://www.instantwp.com/ which avoids the issue of having to install WAMP. You can even run it off a thumb drive.

There are only two problems:

1. It’s for Windows only.
  2. It’s usually a couple of versions behind where WordPress actually is. But if you’re more interested in developing content, it’s a good way to go.

If you are on a Linux machine, it’s a fairly simple matter to get WordPress up and running, however.

I’m in the same boat, but I have already chosen a Wordpress theme (one of the logistics wordpress themes from www. templatemonster. com [ADMIN EDITED], you can try to find a proper template there too). But I need a web hosting. As I started learning web design not long ago, I don’t have much experience. So, the information given here is really helpful for me. Thanks!

Just google “Free webhost”. You will find what you are looking for, but just know this: I am your father.

Kidding… I mean, with free comes its hidden price, usually in ads, lack of support, or you get put on a server with so many others that you may experience downtime, slow loading times, bandwidth issues.

If you plan on staying for the long run, which – the years go by so quickly… think I’ve been with DreamHost for 4 years now… I purchased the 10-year plan and when you commit to that length of time, they drop your shared hosting plan to $5.95 a month. Worth it to pay all that money upfront? Absolutely. Their support has always been good to me. Besides, I made all the money back hosting clients, so my hosting is technically free.

You do have another option: DreamCompute.

If you manage to put your server on there, you’ll pay $4.50 month for 512 MB of memory and 80 GB of SSD. Worth it? Yup. You can create an instance in 10 seconds and if you use ServerPilot, you can load up WordPress servers in no time. Or you can just get up a general server in less than 5 - 10 minutes. Great for testing or production.