Hosting multiple domains

I’m currently hosting several domains under my DH account and for each one there is a folder of the same name as the domain. I’d like to create several groups of domains and if possible have all the domains within a group to be sub-folder within a group directory, eg:

Current setup:
/domain1.com
/domain2.co.uk
/domain3.com
/domain4.com
/domain5.co.uk
etc

Desired setup:
/personal/domain1.com
/personal/domain2.co.uk
/work/domain3.com
/work/domain4.com
/friends/domain5.co.uk
etc

Is this possible to setup with DH? If so is it as simple as creating the directory structure I want, then altering the location within Mange Domains. Woudl that mean I could use shorter folder names rather than the actual domain name?

Also, If several domains are sharing the same Drupal setup and so are located within a sub-folder of one domain, can I delete the original domain directory that was automatically created when the domain was setup?

If you go to panel … domains … manage, and in the web hosting column, you can edit the “web directory” to specify the directory that is the root directory for that domain.

I’m not certain however whether you can specify a path, which is what you want, or only an immediate subdirectory of your account root.

Also I’m not sure whether there are problems with editing this after your site is up and running. You could wait for someone who knows all this better than me, or you could test it by setting up the directory structure you want, but copying rather than moving things. You could then edit the directory for, perhaps, one of the personal sites, to show the new location and see what happens. If it doesn’t work, just edit it back. Don’t move or delete until you know it’s worked!

Yes

How did you get your multiple sites to point to the same Drupal?

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Sorry for the delay in getting back folks and thanks for the good news.

As for the multisite install of Drupal, it took a bit of fiddling as the Drupal handbook didn’t have all the answers but it got me a long way there. To be honest I can’t remember exactly how I did it off-hand, but if you’re interested I’ll see about drawing up some instructions.

I don’t need this myself but was just asking to make sure that you could do all the things at DreamHost that you needed to in order to get that working here as well.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

yep, it all seems to work fine.

There is the oddity of the path that’s displayed for files (eg images and downloads) for multisite installs, but I understand that’s to do with the way the header info is handled by MySQL/PHP/DNS or summink like that. But this is common to all multisite drupal setups. Someone has mentioned to me that it would be possible to figure out a workaround, but that’s beyond me.

I may well see about doing some info for the DH wiki about a multisite setup, just a case of finding the time!