Hosting mp3

as a DJ , i sometimes upload my sets as a mp3 for four friends.

I wont have problem will I?

If you legally own the copyright (or have an agreement from the record lable to use the songs in this manner) to those songs, then no you won’t have a problem. If not, then you’re liable to have your account removed without refund.

–Matttail
art.googlies.net - personal website

Sort of. If he posts the files in an FTP only area where a username and password are required to access, he should be okay. He may also want to contact DH and let them know.

[quote]I wont have problem will I?

[/quote]

If you have to ask… then you probably suspect the answer.

If you can’t do the time, then don’t do the crime.

Don’t touch this URL with your own computer :slight_smile: www.riaa.com/issues/music/downup_faq.asp and for goodness sake, don’t keep their cookie; they’ll want you to pay for it.

Supposedly you can make copies of your music for your own use only. One use could be to place it somewhere for redundant backup, like at your friends’ houses, and on DreamHost’s server. Probably should have a written exchange-protection agreement, and only 2-3 friends seems more reasonable.

Are you asking does DreamHost scan their servers for presence of mp3s? Does r1aa track downloads? Will they take pre-emptive action to get you?

Sneaker net might be safer. Or just don’t do it. You might pay in the next life too.

Hey, why’d the lights just go out?! What’s that crashing downstairs?!

Honey, start the therm1te!

[quote]ort of. If he posts the files in an FTP only area where a username and password are required to access, he should be okay.

[/quote]

It’s still techincally illegal, even if there is an extremly small chance of being caught. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve plety of my own MP3s… But the internet is a dangerous place these days.

–Matttail
art.googlies.net - personal website

I was just asking becasue I wouldnt be kicked by Dreamhost.
It just to show friends what I have just made, and it’s only be downloaded by them. No links on internet whatever.

I own all te labels.

[quote]It’s still techincally illegal, even if there is an extremly small chance of being caught. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve plety of my own MP3s… But the internet is a dangerous place these days.

[/quote]

How so? Licenses for public usage don’t generally have distribution restrictions. I’m not saying that if he has a public usage licenses, he’s free to distribute it, but that the license restriction is that the music can only be played for that customer’s audience. If he’s posting them in a private area for friends, that would fall under fair use.