Hosting external registered domain

Hi guys/gals

I’ve read through the forum and wiki, and I’m pretty sure I have this nailed, but I’ll check so I’m 100% clear:

I have web hosting setup with Dreamhost. Currently I have my one free domain hosted with DH.

A friend has registered a domain with another registrar. My DH account will provide the web hosting for the external domain.

To host the external domain, I need to add the domain’s name in the ‘manage domain’ DH panel and ask my friend to get his registrar to change the DNS addresses to Dreamhost’s.

Is that it? Seems a bit too simple :wink:

That’s it! Sometimes the best things in life are the simplest! :wink:

–rlparker

Too right!

One other question - how does DH resolve who exactly hosts the site? What stops someone saying that they “host” a website which isn’t theres, but they know the domain maps to DH, and they setup the domain under their account.

Nothing other than fear of punishment, once the nameservers for a domain are pointed to DreamHost.

I suspect it’s a bannable offense, though.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Well, actually, at the time of adding the domain, they don’t. Who “owns” a “site” is probably best described by the Whois information on file with the registrar, and really doesn’t have anything to do with what you, or I, do when we “add a domain” under “Manage Domains” in the control panel

In other words, there is nothing at all preventing us from “adding” google.com as a domain under our account in the control panel (and, in fact, doing so generally won’t hurt a thing - see the next answer for an exception to this :wink: ). The directory will be built under your account and a DNS entry made in DreamHost’s nameservers, but the domain’s nameservers are (hopefully!) not set to DreamHost’s nameservers (they certainly aren’t for google.com!), so the contents you load into that “domain’s” directory on DreamHost will not be served to browsers using DNS to lookup “google.com” since the nameservers in use by google.com will have other IP lookup information.

Initially, nothing prevents it - and that is the exception I talked about in the first answer of my response. It does occasionally happen (there have been reports of this on these forums), and it takes contact with DreamHost support to sort it out.

Note that this cannot happen if the owner of a domain with DNS pointed to DreamHost beats everyone else in “adding” that domain in the control panel. This is usually what happens, but occasionally a user might register a domain, and point the nameservers to DreamHost’s nameservers without bothering to add the domain to the panel - leaving themselves open to this (albeit temporary) “redirection” potential.

There have also been cases where a user had “added the domain” when he didn’t own it and the actual owner runs into to trouble when he tries to “add” it - the Control Panel won’t let him because it is “already in the system”. Again, in either of those situations, it takes support to sort it out (and it is not hard to do, as the whois information authoritatively identifies the registrant).

I guess the lesson here is to always immediately add a domain to the Control Panel when you point DNS to DreamHost’s nameservers (or even do it first). The chance that someone else has already done that is very small, and you can always check by trying to browse to it first, to make sure this hasn’t happened. If it has, you can always report the situation to support and they can sort it.

Does any of that make any sense? :wink:

–rlparker

Thanks for the informative response rlparker! It was pure curiosity that made me wonder - I doubt it’d ever be an issue with anything I’m dealing with. But I feel I’ve got a decent grasp on what I need to know (for now :wink: )

Its been interesting learning about the ‘backend’ of the Internet/Web. I guess one of the reasons it all works so well is that Web browsers and other Internet technology do such a good job encapsulating how everything works behind the scenes.

You’re welcome, and I agree that the infrastructure of the internet is fascinating. It’s also amazing to me that virtually everything you might want to know about how the internet works is freely available online in one form or another.

It makes learning about all of this an enjoyable, and continuing, experience for me; it’s great to have all the “secrets” available for the finding! :wink:

–rlparker