Hosting domains registered elswhere

I’ve got several domains that I registered at 1and1.com and I’d like to host them on Dreamhost without changing the registrar. After looking around the Dreamhost wiki I set up the domain [manage domains - add domain on the web panel] on dreamhost and then on 1and1.com I edited the DNS records for that domain, setting them to the dreamhost namservers.

Have I done this correctly? If so, about how long should it take before loading the domain will get me the page I have on Dreamhost instead of the 1and1 " This domain name has just been registered." page?

Could be up to 72 hours for the change to propagate, I believe.

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for other Dreamhost coupons / promo codes

Hi,

I also have a domain name ggsipu.info registered elsewhere.

I created a domain ggsipu.info in my panel then I changed the DNS of my domain ggsipu.info to dreamhost.

A directory is created /home/username/ggsipu.info
If I put any file like index.html under this folder, now if someone opens up ggsipu.info then will this index.html page appear?

Thanks

[quote]A directory is created /home/username/ggsipu.info
If I put any file like index.html under this folder, now if someone opens up ggsipu.info then will this index.html page appear?[/quote]
From what you described… Yes, it will show up your index.html under ggsipu.info domain.

Looking for Promo Code ? $97 off for yearly plan with [color=#00CC00] GREENCODE SIGN UP NOW[/color]

Hey thanks for the reply. I’ll check and let you once after a day or two.

You’re welcome. And glad to be helpful :slight_smile:

Looking for Promo Code ? $97 off for yearly plan with [color=#00CC00] GREENCODE SIGN UP NOW[/color]

Changing domain name servers quickly after registering a domain some where else really helps. I registered the domain name ameritoyluvr.com at ipowerweb the other night and then in about 10 minutes checked the site at manage.opensrs.net to see it it was accepted there yet, and low and behold there it was. I changed the name servers to the dreamhost.com name servers, logged out and then logged into my DreamHost account and created a domain in there called ameritoyluvr.com (for Toy Fox Terrier Lovers. S ), and made it a fully hosted domain. Then went to email and added 2 email account to this domain. Uploaded a redirect.htm file to that new domain to go to my wife’s www.scottieluvr.com website and … Viola! I checked and it showed up instantly.

I think the sooner you get the name server changed the better. The reason I believe this is if you change it very soon after creation, the domain name is now associated with DreamHost name servers and doesn’t populate out in the internet under an alternate nameserver and that keeps from having to “relearn” a location of a domain at a new nameserver. Does this make sense?

Cheers!
Vern
http://vernsdidj.com didgeridoo info and more