Hosting Big Files

I wasn’t really sure where to post this, because I have never used the support before so forgive me if this is not the correct section. I am also in a bit hurry so I didn’t have time to go through all the wiki pages to see if some of them something about the subject. I didn’t know where to look.

So, basically we are planning to release our Half-Life 2 modification very soon. The mod takes about 1.5Gb and we are looking into options on where to have it for download.

The dreamhost panel says, like it should, Total Bandwidth Provided: unlimited. But common sense says me that it might not be as simple as hosting the 1.5Gb file there, have it been downloaded by people, and hoping the server wont die or get extremely laggy. My question is, even though it says unlimited, is there some kind of limit of what the server can take, and should I try to host it there, or just stick to websites that are specialized in this kind of thing.

If that file is part of your website operations (i.e. your site is about half life and your mod), then it’s worth a try, as I think the servers can handle a simple download. Your request isn’t much different from people who create video files and make them available on their sites.

Another option to look into is Files Forever, but I’m not sure how well that suits your needs:

The file would be an installer file for people to download and it would contain all the files of the mod. It could be very stressful for the server if the mod would prove to be popular.

It would be a public (and free) file for anyone to download.