Hosting account without Domain Name

Currently have a Online Builder account at another company. Would it be possible to sign up for a hosting account here and access it through IP address until I have it up and running then transfer domain and point it to new IP?

I don’t believe you can access the DreamHost hosted site by IP address, unless you pay extra for such a unique IP.

However, you do get 1 free domain registration with new plans, or you can create a mirrored subdomain such as subdomain.dreamhosters.com

Mark

Get $50 DreamHost Discount using promo code “SAVEFIFTY (Click For Details)

Just to add to my previous post;

You can of-course transfer your old domain to DreamHost once your site is up and running.

Mark

Get $50 DreamHost Discount using promo code “SAVEFIFTY (Click For Details)

Yes, you can sign up with out a domain name. you can set up a sub-domain of dreamhosters.com. If you plan on eventually transfering DNS of your domain to point here, you can set up that domain, and a mirror of it to devolpe content.

-Matttail

You can sometimes do something like this by editing the hosts file on your system. Steps for windows if your domain was called “foobar.com”.

1. get the IP address of your domain at dreamhost.

C:>nslookup
Default Server: merry.christmas
Address: 192.168.0.254

[quote]lserver ns2.dreamhost.com
[/quote]

Default Server: ns2.dreamhost.com
Address: 66.201.54.66

[quote]foobar.com
[/quote]

Server: ns2.dreamhost.com
Address: 66.201.54.66

Name: foobar.com
Address: 66.33.209.28

[quote]exit
[/quote]

C:>

The returned IP address for your domain “foobar.com” at dreamhost is “66.33.209.28”.

Note that the nameservers at dreamhost seem to be pretty flaky and often return errors. If ns2 doesn’t work, try again and again or change the lserver to ns1 or ns3.

1. open the hosts file to edit it. On Windows XP this is found by default at: c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Open it in notepad and then add the following lines to the end of the file…
<yourdomain.com>
<www.yourdomain.com>

e.g. for the previous domain example it would be:

66.33.209.28 foobar.com
66.33.209.28 www.foobar.com

Save and close the file. You should then be able to access the new site hosted at dreamhost using the domain name “foobar.com”.

Note that this will prevent you from accessing the current “foobar.com” at the current host. You will need to comment out or delete those lines from the hosts file to see it again.

Note that you should also delete those lines once it is available via the normal DNS system, otherwise Murphy’s Law ensures that something will happen which will make you wish that you did.

Also note that if your site never actually references it’s own domain name (i.e. there are no links to foobar.com, just to relative paths like / or /pr0n) then you may be able to add the entries in the hosts with a madeup name and access both sites simultaneously. e.g.

66.33.209.28 foobar-new.com
66.33.209.28 www.foobar-new.com

In any case, there is no guarantees that this will actually work. It does for me though.

B