Hosting a non-DH registered domain

I have a domain registered by another company, is it possible to host the site on my DH account, or will I need to transfer the domain to Dreamhost?

You need to just change the nameservers on the domain to ns1.dreamhost.com ns2.dreamhost.com and ns3.dreamhost.com. Then just add the domain under manage domains.

It takes a little while to become active.

$97 DISCOUNT with [color=#CC0000]DISCOM97[/color]
No monthly setup with [color=#CC0000]DISCNOSET[/color]
More codes

Thanks for that.

But, does that mean email would also then be directed to Dreamhost as well?

The full details are as follows:

I have a web-app I have created on my dreamhost account. I have someone who has their own domain registered and wants to have their domain point to my application (they have no website currently), but they already use the domain for emails.

When you say that you created your webapp “on your dreamhost account”, do you mean that you already have a domain that you created a website for? Do you just want to redirect his domain to your domain? Or do you want to host his domain on your dreamhost account and then install your webapp there as well?

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

after you have a hosting package in DH, you can set up an email server.

You can use your original email server or use DH’s. To set up email server in DH, just check DH panel --> Mail --> Manage Mail.

Save $97 with promo code: [color=#CC0000]97YES Sign Up NOW[/color]

So i have an web-app running on myapp.dreamhosters.com

A friend has a domain registered - theirdomain.com

ideally i just want theirdomain.com to point to site that currently is at myapp.dreamhosters.com.

They already using emails for the domain, so ideally I just want to redirect the web stuff, and leave the email under their control.

If you want to keep myapp.dreamhosters.com, you can just set up hosting for theirdomain.com and either redirect or do a dreamhost-style mirror of myapp.dreamhosters.com.

If you don’t want to keep myapp.dreamhosters.com, you can add hosting for theirdomain.com and point it to the web directory you already have for myapp.dreamhosters.com. You can then delete the domain myapp.dreamhosters.com.

Regarding DNS setup you can either use the current dns setup and point to IP of the appropriate dreamhost server or you can us the dreamhost nameservers and set up a custom MX record pointing back to your friend’s mail server. The latter has the benefit of avoiding having to change the IP in the DNS record should DreamHost ever move you to a different IP address.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/KB_/Domains/Transfers/_Transfer_Hosting

Here is the wiki I found on this pretty solid.

This helped me out cause it included the ip’s and the ns details. :slight_smile: