Hosting 2nd site with domain registered elsewhere

I have a *.com domain registered here with DreamHost, and the associated website is hosted here.

I am setting up a small business and have registered a *.co.uk domain elsewhere. (I have had no problems with DreamHost, but I still feel more comfortable separating my company’s domain registration from the hosting provider.)

Can I host the *.co.uk site here on DreamHost as part of my existing hosting account, but without transferring the domain registration?

Thanks.

You sure can! Just go to your registrar and set DNS for here.
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/DNS

-Scott

p.s. Even if you wanted to transfer registration, you can’t; DH only handles registration for .com, .org, and .net. But hosting for all top level domains.

Thanks for the quick reply.

The nameserver changes at my registrar seem to have propagated almost immediately, because I now have my site with the *.co.uk domain parked at Dreamhost.

There’s currently no sign of the new domain when I log into my FTP area. Will this magically appear in due course, or is there something I need to do to be able to see it in my FTP area?

Thanks.

When you say “parked,” do you get the standard DreamHost Parked Domain page?

To get it to show up, you will need to add it as Fully Hosted in the Domains -> Manage Domains area.

-Scott

Scott,

[quote]When you say “parked,” do you get the standard DreamHost
Parked Domain page?

[/quote]

That’s right. I deliberately identified the site as “Parked” on the “Manage Domains” page, but didn’t realise that this would mean that I couldn’t upload to it. (Makes sense, I suppose; if it’s parked, it’s not being used.)

[quote]To get it to show up, you will need to add it as Fully
Hosted in the Domains -> Manage Domains area.

[/quote]

I tried that and, sure enough, the domain appeared on my FTP area. I’ve parked it again for the time being and will make it “Fully Hosted” again when I’m ready to go live with it.

Thanks very much for your help.

Gary