I am looking to transfer my main site to dreamhost, I’ve been with them for a few weeks on a few of my sites and I’m looking into taking the BIG PLUNG, so to speak. (And also hope to join the community as well, you guys seem cool.)
Anyways, while looking around at the features and what not, including the “How to transfer/access your domain before the DNS updates” parts and have been kind of wondering if this couple of steps would be possible instead of the steps given (with mirroring the subdomain and such)?
- Through the control panel, set up the domain name for one of your users (or creating a new one).
- Then add the MySQL database, again through the control panel.
- Connect to the actual server that your web host will be on and upload the files now, before DNS updates. For instance, say that my account was created on boyd.dreamhost.com (taken randomly from the server list in the wiki). Couldn’t I connect to boyd.dreamhost.com using the username and find the folder for my domain (or subdomain) there, and upload all my files?
- Connect to the MySQL database using the server it’s on, say whiggle.dreamhost.com, using the username you created for it and import the data. (You would of course have to allow your computer to connect to the server, at least temporarily.)
- Wait for the DNS to update, so everyone can find a happy, well functioning website.
Would this process work, and if not, what would be the problems with doing this?