Host Subdomain Only

I have full hosting with another company that also hosts DNS for my primary domain. I have found articles that show you how to host subdomains from dreamhost dns accounts on other servers but not the opposite. I want dreamhost to only host a sudomain, say staging.mydomain.com and keep www.mydomain.com where it is. I have full access to modify my current hosts dns but need to know how to point and setup dh to only host the sudomain. Doesn this make sense?

You could just set up a subdomain as always (maybe you need to add the top domain first, although you won’t use it - I don’t know whether it’s possible or not just to host subdomains), then check the dns via det controlpanel. There’s an IP address for the webserver, which your a-record for the subdomain on the other company’s server needs to point to. The only problem is - the IP address can change. If it’s really important that the subdomain can be reached at all times, you could buy another domain for dreamhost only, and then mirror the subdomain to that new domain.

Did this make any sense? :smiley:

Like my help? Enter promo code 2FORME and you get the maximum off for your plan, minus 2$ - for me. :slight_smile:

Yes, the parent domain will have to be added to the DreamHost system before the sub-domain can be added, you can do this in the panel at Domains -> Manage Domains -> Add New Domain / Sub-Domain. This will not affect the parent domain that is hosted elsewhere, you will just have an unused directory in your DreamHost home directory with the same name as the parent domain.

After you have added the parent domain and the sub-domain to DreamHost system, you will need to create a DNS A-Record for the sub-domain using whatever configuration utility your registrar provides. The IP address you need for this A-Record can be found by going to Domains -> Manage Domains, clicking the DNS link next to the parent domain and looking for the A-Record that was automatically added for the sub-domain.

As miv3 said, this IP address can change at any time, so you will need to stay on top of this and change the A-Record at your registrar whenever this happens. Although, in reality it is not likely to happen often.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

Maybe you could make a redirect from a mysubdomain.dreamhosters.com to your real subdomain.mydomain.com , and then make a CNAME from your other registrar to the mysubdomain.dreamhosters.com - that way you don’t have to know the IP address at all.

Or are there any drawbacks that anyone can see when doing this?

Like my help? Enter promo code 2FORME and you get the maximum off for your plan, minus 2$ - for me. :slight_smile:

a third option can be what i have done:
on your primary host, create the subdomain, and point the A record and Nameservers here to DH.
then u can manage the entire subdomain DNS here on DH

BUGabundo :o)
(``-_-´´)
http://BrinKadeiraS.BUGabundo.net
at http://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?249195
50$ discount with promo code “BUG50” on ALL plans