Host site but not DNS?

I currently have a domain hosted at freedns.org and i’d like to leave it there but is there any way I can point the domain to dreamhost?

Ideally I’d like just to be able to point the domain at the IP of the server and have the server sort it out from there using virtual hosts.

Is this possible or do I have to spend $50 on a static IP?

I don’t think I can set up virtual hosts but is there any way to do this? I don’t want a redirection I actually want the domain hosted.

Is there a way to do this by changing the name servers? I can’t make the root domain record NS though.

Thanks for any help :slight_smile:

I could possibly give you bad information, but I’m pretty sure that you don’t need to spend the money on a static IP to do what you want. You seem to know a decent bit about what you’re doing but generally people just point the nameserver records to the dreamhost name servers and everything’s peachy.

The wiki at http://wiki.dreamhost.com may have the info you’re looking for.

Wholly - Use promo code WhollyMindless for full 97$ credit. Let me know if you want something else!

Can you set the nameservers for your domain? If so, just set the nameservers to ns1.dreamhost.com, ns2.dreamhost.com, and ns3.dreamhost.com

Then all you need to do in your DreamHost control panel is add a new domain and then take it from there.

If you can’t set the nameservers, you will need to first add a new domain to the control panel as above. After you do so, you will be able to click on a “DNS” link on that domain and see what the IP address is of the server you’re hosted on. Then you’ll need to add both a blank “A” record and a www “A” record at freedns.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Never mind, it gave an error at first but now just pointing an A record seems to work :slight_smile:

I tried it again with another domain and now it’s not working.

I added another domain hosted at freedns.afraid.org and now I get the error:

Site Temporarily Unavailable
We apologize for the inconvenience. Please contact the webmaster/ tech support immediately to have them rectify this.

error id: “bad_httpd_conf”

It doesn’t seem to work right.

The reason I want the domain hosted at freedns is because it supports wildcard DNS.