I’m trying to do the same thing. I got my subdomain working, but now my regular domain doesn’t work.
I have mydomain.biz registered with godaddy. It’s NS entries are ns1.afraid.org and ns2.afraid.org. Here’s what I did.
- Added secondary NS on afraid.org to ns1.dreamhost.com and for ns2 and ns3.
- Made an NS record on afraid.org for d.mydomain.biz to ns1.dreamhost.com (not sure if this is correct…)
- Tried to add mydomain.biz from the DH control panel. It wouldn’t let me.
- Added ns1.dreamhost.com to the nameservers at godaddy.
- Added mydomain.biz to the DH control panel and removed hosting.
- Added d.mydomain.biz to the DH control panel.
- Clicked on DNS for d.mydomain.biz and got the IP address for the A record.
- Added the A record to the IP for d.mydomain.biz at afraid.org
Immediately d.mydomain.biz started working and mydomain.biz was still working. After a while mydomain.biz stopped working but d.mydomain.biz is still working.
I tried removing ns1.dreamhost.com from godaddy and it’s still in the same situation. Not sure DNS has propagated yet. Should I have removed that, or is that going to break d.mydomain.biz too? Any ideas how I can get mydomain.biz working again?
Edit: Now mydomain.biz is working. The only thing I changed was removing ns1.dreamhost.com from godaddy. Now I’m not sure if d.mydomain.biz will be working for much longer.