Host afraid.org subdomain?

Hi, is there a way to host a subdomain that i have configured in afraid.org ? I actually create the ns pointers in afraid to dreamhost dns… It’s the way?

Thanks.

Whose nameservers are you using to manage afraid.org? DreamHost or your other provider?

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

I have the domain “mydomain.com” configured with afraid.org and create a subdomain (in afraid) “sub.mydomain.com” with ns of dreamhost.com … Actually my provider only have afraid dns

P.D. In afraid i have “Edit secundaries” with both afraid and dreamhost

Thanks for the help.

Conventional wisdom is that you:

1. Add “mydomain.com” in the Manage Domains panel of the DreamHost control panel. To initiate this, you have to click on the “Add New Domain / Sub-Domain” link on the panel.
  2. Make sure “mydomain.com” is set to “none” for hosting options. You can do this by clicking on “x delete” in the Web Hosting column of the Manage Domains panel. Note that there are two “x delete” buttons on the panel for each domain. Make sure to click on the right one or you will have to go back to step 1. :slight_smile:
  3. Add the domain “sub.mydomain.com” in the Manage Domains panel.
  4. Refresh the “Manage Domains” panel until you see “sub.mydomain.com” as a domain you can manage.
  5. Click on the “DNS” link for “sub.mydomain.com”. Write down the IP address for the A record for “sub”.
  6. At afraid.org, add an A record for “sub” and “www.sub” for your “mydomain.com” domain.
  7. Wait for DNS to propagate.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Thanks a lot… I was missing the option “2” … This will be nice on wiki :slight_smile:

I’m trying to do the same thing. I got my subdomain working, but now my regular domain doesn’t work.

I have mydomain.biz registered with godaddy. It’s NS entries are ns1.afraid.org and ns2.afraid.org. Here’s what I did.

1. Added secondary NS on afraid.org to ns1.dreamhost.com and for ns2 and ns3.
  2. Made an NS record on afraid.org for d.mydomain.biz to ns1.dreamhost.com (not sure if this is correct…)
  3. Tried to add mydomain.biz from the DH control panel. It wouldn’t let me.
  4. Added ns1.dreamhost.com to the nameservers at godaddy.
  5. Added mydomain.biz to the DH control panel and removed hosting.
  6. Added d.mydomain.biz to the DH control panel.
  7. Clicked on DNS for d.mydomain.biz and got the IP address for the A record.
  8. Added the A record to the IP for d.mydomain.biz at afraid.org

Immediately d.mydomain.biz started working and mydomain.biz was still working. After a while mydomain.biz stopped working but d.mydomain.biz is still working.

I tried removing ns1.dreamhost.com from godaddy and it’s still in the same situation. Not sure DNS has propagated yet. Should I have removed that, or is that going to break d.mydomain.biz too? Any ideas how I can get mydomain.biz working again?

Edit: Now mydomain.biz is working. The only thing I changed was removing ns1.dreamhost.com from godaddy. Now I’m not sure if d.mydomain.biz will be working for much longer.

Surtr,

Using this method, you don’t want to change any NS records.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts