High CPU minutes

wordpress

I just got the message below from Dreamhost. I took the steps in the Wiki but will have to wait til tomorrow. In the meantime I’m wondering if anyone could tell me what sounds suspicious.

I’m running a WordPress 2.01 site. Plugs include inlinerss (an rss aggregator), democracy (for polls), akismet spam stopper and autometa (tag generator) . In addition I’ve got a javascript traffic tracking script from blogbeat.net . I’m serving quite a bit of bandwidth via mp3 downloads and a few embedded wmv files. So far today I’ve gotten 2300 unique visitors so the traffic is high.

Anything here sound suspicous? What should I look for beyond the Wiki?

The site is http://www.graycharles.com/ - an American Idol site for Taylor Hicks.

Hello,

Im just writing to let you know that you are using more cpu minutes then
what you are allowed, I have not disabled any of your sites as they seem
to not be causing a load but thought I would give you a heads up before
your sites were turned off.
Also you may want to look at this information that we have setup to help
you understand cpu usage and what you can do to lower it.
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/CPU_Minutes_FAQ
You are currently using 85.84cp when only 60cp is allowed.

Did you look in your resources file to see what was using up the most cpu time?

Norm

Yes, I just did.

It’s all in php.cgi - nothing else going on. Is this the fallout from a popular WordPress site? I’ve seen many many complaints about this DreamHost policy issue. If my site remains popular will I need to leave?

Leave or upgrade to a dedicated machine… most likely.

'Not sure how other providers handle cpu usage but 83 minutes a day is quite significant. (At least for as cheap as dreamhost supplies hosting)

You could try digging around to see if there are any ways to lower cpu usage…

[color=#CC0000]Get $80 off[/color] with promo code BF80
See here what else you get!

Try something like WP-Cache2. It cuts my CPU usage dramatically.

WordPress by itself is not very efficient. It loads quite a few PHP files and every post has to run through a few handlers everytime a post is viewed. WP-Cache2 plugs right into WordPress so it can load the cached version of the page before all other PHP files are loaded.