Hidden album requires login

apps

Good afternoon.

I am trying to create a “private” area in my album hierarchy, without requiring users to log in. My strategy is to create a hidden album at the top level, and then add one or more sub-albums under this hidden album. The sub-albums would not be hidden. Users would access them directly via permalinks. An informed user could also enter the permalink for the hidden album, and view the list of sub-albums since they are not hidden.

Unfortunately, this is not working as I had hoped. If I attempt to use a permalink to access the hidden album or any of its sub-albums, Gallery requests login credentials.

Any idea what is going on here?

Thanks
-Mark

How are you hiding the album?

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Actually, I noticed that in my gallery, you have to visit the link twice before it works. I think this is a bug.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Ok, I am seeing that behavior too.

This may work. I’ll just need to instruct people to hit the browser refresh button if the site requests credentials.

Thanks
-Mark

Apparently they thought they fixed this in version 2.1.2.

http://gallery.menalto.com/node/56028#comment-240286

-Mark

:slight_smile: I was running 2.2.1

I see that 2.2.2 is available. I’m going to try that and see if that fixes it. I hope the bug didn’t get reintroduced from 2.1.2->2.2.1! Actually, I’m hoping that it was and that it got re-fixed in 2.2. We’ll know in 10 minutes…

Just upgraded to 2.2.2 and the problem remains. :frowning:

Yep. I upgraded to 2.2.2 this morning and made the same disappointing discovery.

Feh.

-Mark

Someone on the Menalto forum has asked me to start with a fresh g2.2.2 install and provide them with exact steps to reproduce the problem. So on goes my ‘tester hat’…

Well, it appears that performing a clean install of Gallery 2.2.2 will solve this problem.

Lensman, send me a private message if you want the permalink to my latest test. I would like to verify whether other people can access the hidden album without being asked for login credentials.

-Mark

Ok, I may have solved this. My 2.2.2 upgrade installation still had version 1.0.2 of the Hidden Items plugin. My clean install of 2.2.2 had Hidden Items version 1.0.4.

I upgraded the plugin on my upgraded installation, and this seems to have solved the problem.

Lensman, can you repro this?

Thanks
-Mark

Good catch!

Yes, I can confirm that after upgrading that plugin, guests are not asked for credentials when given the direct URL for hidden albums.