Help!

i just joined the dreamhost with the crazy domian insane service and i have no clue what to do. i want to put it up onto the web but i dont know how to…ftp??? please help!!!1 or my money will have been wasted

<i just joined the dreamhost with the crazy domian insane service and i have no clue what to do. i want to put it up onto the web but i dont know how to…ftp??? please help!!!1 or my money will have been wasted>

ok, ok, hold your horses and take a deep breath…i have a few questions for you before sending you answers:

1. Have you ever had a website hosted before?

2. Did you purchase domains at DreamHost? If purchased elsewhere, did you change the nameservers to the DH default?

3. What type of program did you use to author your website?

4. Seriously, take it easy, its not that difficult…but why would you already determine that your money has been wasted when you only signed up today :S?

5. I will be more than happy to assist you as i can

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

Don’t worry, just be calm and patient and all will fall into place. For now, you might want to read the Knowledge Base article on FTP.

MacManX.com
I don’t work here. I’m just your typical support forum volunteer.

ok ok ok…im calming down…to answer your questions

1. no i have never hosted a website before
  2. ya i did purchase stuff it was the 120 plan for like 4 dpmains and stuff…
    3.Program?!?!?!
    4.Ur righgt my moey isnt going to be wasted
    thanks

Do you know anything about HTML?

<3.Program?!?!?!>

well do you know a programming language (ie html, xml, asp, java, php, etc?)

if not we need to suggest a program for you…there are several very good WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editors available (ie Xara, Nvu, dreamweaver, frontpage, and several others that dont come to mind at the moment…) or if you understand one of the programming languages, than all that is typically needed is a program like “notepad”

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

If you are just getting started with we design, I highly recommend NVU.

MacManX.com
I don’t work here. I’m just your typical support forum volunteer.

no i dont…

which of those programs that you have listed is free?

NVU (www.nvu.com) is free and writes clean code. It’s a wysiwyg editor (what you see is what you get), easy to use. Beware of FrontPage.

~Chell

HTML isn’t a programming language, it’s a markup language.

– Dan

do i need some ftp client? to put my site up?

ok… i need some help…if you already dont know…can anyone give me like a detailed dscripition of what i need to do toput my website up on the web…like what do i need…programs…anyhting that can eb useful to me…please help!! thanks!!!

you can use Nvu to put it on the web. Take this one step at a time. concentrate on making your website and getting it to at least kinda look like you want it to. then worry about putting it up on the internet.

-Matttail

ok ive made something now how do i use nvu u to put it up on the web?

i went into nvu and i typed in this is a test after that i went to publish and it asked for site name…what do i put in for there and what do i put in for publishing server? please help!!!

The link macmanx provided in a post above, to the kbase page would be the place to start with ftp information.

~Chell

ok,
click publish
under the settings tab, fill in the following information:
[color=#0000CC]site name:[/color] this will be the name you want reference this wite with - this field is just for you.
[color=#0000CC]http address of your homepage:[/color] http://www.yourdomain.com
[color=#0000CC]publishing address[/color] ftp://www.yourdomain.com/yourdoamin.com (and make sure you get this url right, you need to type it just that way, with yourdoamin.com in there twice - just replace yourdomain.com with what it actually is)
[color=#0000CC]user name and password[/color] this will be the user name and password that you set up with your account here at dreamhost.
[color=#CC0000]click publish[/color]

this should work for you

-Matttail

now, once you get this figured out, go into Nvu and click Help > Help Contents. Find the “Nvu Tutorial” on the left side. click that and read through the entire thing, trying out what it says while you go along. That will give you a nice idea of the things you can start doing with your website!

-Matttail

thanks so much