Help!

I just registered a domain (?) name, pinkcrush.org. I have designed web sites in the past, but have never had my own domain name… and now I just realized that I am lost & confused. What do I need to have or do to get this to work? I am so frustrated, please help.

This is exactly what you want:

http://discussion.dreamhost.com/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=forum_webdesign&Number=17582

MacManX.com

I’m sorry, but I must be having the worst blonde moment ever. I still do not understand this. I just registered the domain name tonight, do I need to wait or something for it to be set up? And do I need to be hosted by someone, or is that something different? And what about FTP? I am so confused.

Well, if all you did was register a domain name, then yes, you need to be hosted by someone. Also, you need to wait for the domain to propagate (be viewable by your browser). For very technical reasons, this can take anywhere for 24 hours to a week. In the mean time, you may want to go down to your local bookstore and pick up one of those “My First Website” books.

MacManX.com

I’ve designed websites before, this isn’t my first one… It’s just that before, I was always hosted by someone else for free, like brinkster.com or homestead.com before they started charging for the service. I finally decided that I wanted my own domain name, so I bought one… So I know tables and frames and all that stuff, I just don’t know what I need to do to actually set up a website outside of being hosted by a different site. I hope that makes sense how I said that… I set up an account at blogger.com, and I think that they host, but it was asking me all these questions about FTP stuff, and it wanted my password for the FTP or something, and I have no idea what to do or what it wants. At blogger, I couldn’t publish my pages, I kept getting error messages. Does anybody know what I am doing wrong?

https://panel.dreamhost.com/kbase/index.cgi?area=23

MacManX.com

I think maybe the biggest issue that I may be having right now is that I have no idea what the FTP user name and password are… Dreamhost has a couple questions dealing with recovering them and making a new password or something, but when I follow the link, there is nothing there on the page. How do I get a user name and password?

Let’s start at the beginning. Did you sign up for a hosting package? If so, which one? Or, did you just register a domain?

MacManX.com

I registered the domain here at Dreamhost, and downloaded CuteFTP, and thought that blogger could host my site, since I read that they can and do… But maybe I was mistaken?

Yes, Blogger can host your site. Once you finish signing up and setting up your blog, you’ll be given a blogger URL. You will then have to redirect your new URL to the blogger URL. I’ve never done that before and can’t find any info in DH’s KBase. You may have to contact DreamHost’s or Blogger’s support. You do not need FTP access.

MacManX.com

Ok, I guess that I will have to ask blogger… Thank you for all your help!! I have one more question, when I tried to go to my site (knowing there was nothing there yet but still trying to visit it) I got this:

Site Temporarily Unavailable

We apologize for the inconvenience. Please contact the webmaster/ tech support immediately to have them rectify this.

error id: “bad_httpd_conf”

Do you know what that means?

Not sure, but since you won’t be using any aspect of DreamHost’s hosting and just using the domain name, it shouldn’t affect you.

MacManX.com