Help wordpress

hey

can anyone help me how to make my default home og blog.

the way its installed here is

www.domain.com/or

where or is default dir of the folder where wordpress is installed

when I open the link
www.domain.com
it only shows the link for or

can anyone help me how to make this, default.

Depending upon your expertise, and your comfort working the the shell, there are several ways you could approach this. In order to determine which way is most appropriate, all little more information is required:

1. Do you currently have any content in /home/username/yourdomainame.tld (http://yourdomain.tld)?

2. Are you comfortable editing PHP and text files in the shell, or editing them on your computer and transferring them to various directories on the server via FTP?

3. Have you already placed content into, or done significant work on your blog?

4. What is your domain name (url to your site)

If you respond with that information, it will much easier to describe the best approach for you to take to have http://yourdomain.tld open your blog directly. :wink:

–rlparker

thanks buddy for quick reply.

1. Do you currently have any content in /home/username/yourdomainame.tld (http://yourdomain.tld)?

[/quote]

1. Are you comfortable editing PHP and text files in the shell, or editing them on your computer and transferring them to various directories on the server via FTP?

[/quote]

1. Have you already placed content into, or done significant work on your blog?

[/quote]

1. What is your domain name (url to your site)

[/quote]

the entire subdirectory is /ob
where worpress is installed

Now , the only thing i missed is …could not able to point
www.oracleappshub.com from www.oracleappshub.com/ob

any help …would be definatly helped me

any input sir

Yes, I can help…I got involved helping another user (sorry!). I am composing a response to your post now…give me a few minutes so I can type it up, ok?

–rlparker

No problem! Your response gives me almost everything I need to know to give “good” advice, but I need one clarification, and now I need to ask one more question (brought up by your response)

[quote]1) Do you currently have any content in /home/username/yourdomainame.tld (http://yourdomain.tld)?

[/quote]

I understand, but I guess what I really meant to ask is whether you have any content other than the /ob directory and its contents in that /home/username/yourdomain.tld directory. In other words, is “/ob” the only thing there (no other .html files, directories, images, anything at all,etc.)

And the “New” question: Since you indicated that you used the “one-click” installer to install WP into /home/username/yourdomain.tld/ob, do you wish to be able to use the “one-click” installer to upgrade the installation in the future? This is important to know before we decide how best to address your problem, as “moving” the installation (or renaming directories) will preclude you from using the “one-click” system to upgrade - you would have to upgrade manually (which is not difficult, but is a different process).

–rlparker

I understand, but I guess what I really meant to ask is whether you have any content other
than the /ob directory and its contents
in that /home/username/yourdomain.tld directory.
In other words, is “/ob” the only thing there (no other .html files, directories, images, anything at all,etc.)

[/quote]

And the “New” question: Since you indicated that you used the “one-click” installer to install WP into
/home/username/yourdomain.tld/ob, do you wish to be able to use the “one-click” installer to upgrade the installation
in the future? This is important to know before we decide how best to address your problem, as “moving” the installation
(or renaming directories) will preclude you from using the “one-click” system to upgrade - you would have to upgrade
manually (which is not difficult, but is a different process).

[/quote]

now my understnading is that there should be one particular folder required for wordpress.

any input incase if you want to share pleease be advice , so that I can make any test before making live…

to give you a clear picture , here would be ls of my subhome.

root /
Maildir
logs
oracleappshub.com
.alias
.bash_profile
.bashrc
.cshrc

and here is details under root/oracleappshub.com
ob
.htaccess
sitemap.xml
sitemap.xml.gz

and here is ls for root/oracleappshub.com/ob
wp-admin
wp-content
wp-includes
.htaccess
index.php
license.txt
readme.html
sitemap.xml
sitemap.xml.gz
…underline wordpress file

any input sir

Ankita,

That helped a lot, so now I feel I can make a recommendation:

1. You need to decide if you want to keep WP in the sub-directory, or have it live in oracleappshub.com

2. If you want to leave it in the sub-directory, the easiest way to have it automatically load when someone browses to oracleappshub.com is to either user a redirect or a meta-refresh index.html to direct users to that page. This has the advantage of requiring no changes to your WP, and you can do it very quickly. It will also retain the ability to upgrade via one-click.

3. If you want WP to actually “live” in the oracleappshub.com directory, you will need to take other steps that combine the contents of your exisiting .htaccess file with WP’s .,htaccess file, and retain your sitemap files. I would do this by temporarily copying those files that are currently in that directory to a temporary directory, so that I can retrieve them later (this does not have to be in your "web-accessible space - it can be a sister to oracleappshub.com), and then delete them from oracleappshub.com. This is not absolutely necessary, but just a good habit to get into - in this case only the .htaccess file will be overwritten by the next step; the sitemap files should not be impacted, but it is easy to overlook a file that might be overwritten, so I always do this as a “safety” precaution :wink: .

Having done that, you can copy the oracleappshub.com/ob directory’s contents (all the files and sub-directories) into the oracleappshub.com directory, which will make the WP iindex.php be what is run whenever a visitor browses to oracleappshub.com.

The remaining steps are to modify your WordPress installation to reflect the change of path/url, and regenerate any permalinks you have already created. A detailed guide to this aspect of the project is found here, on the WordPress Codex (as well as other options!), and they explain it better than I could. While I have described the general process, they go into a lot more detail, and give some step-by-step direction. :wink:

The final steps are to then move your sitemap files back into the oracleappshub.com directory, and move any needed .htaccess file contents that were in the directoy’s original .htaccess file into the “new” .htaccess file that is now there (merge the contents with the one from the WP installation).

Once all is tested and working, you can then safely delete the old oracleappshub.com/ob subdirectory, as it will no longer be needed.

Actually, if you decide to go this route, it is a lot easier to do than it is to explain - reading the link I gave you to the Wordpress Codex a couple of times so that you understand what is involved will make it even easier.

Of course, the first option of just re-directing the site is even easier, ir you are happy with that result (and many are!) Good Luck, and I’ll try to provide more help if you need it, though I think you will be able to accomplish this with little trouble :wink: .

–rlparker

Ankita, I was typing as fast as I could, and I do have other things going on at the same time - see my response to your last post :wink: .

–rlparker

1. You need to decide if you want to keep WP in the sub-directory, or have it live in oracleappshub.com
    [ankita] i want to live in root directory.

2. If you want to leave it in the sub-directory, the easiest way to have it automatically load when someone browses to
    oracleappshub.com is to either user a redirect or a meta-refresh index.html to direct users to that page. This has the
    advantage of requiring no changes to your WP, and you can do it very quickly. It will also retain the ability to
    upgrade via one-click.
    [ankita] i donot think it would be benifical as this particular things would be for blog only, i donot find any good cause to keep either at root or at subfolder.
    Metarefresh oe redirect , i donot think it would be good case for instant dataset.

3. If you want WP to actually “live” in the oracleappshub.com directory, you will need to take other steps that combine the
    contents of your exisiting .htaccess file with WP’s .,htaccess file, and retain your sitemap files. I would do this by temporarily
    copying those files that are currently in that directory to a temporary directory, so that I can retrieve them later
    (this does not have to be in your "web-accessible space - it can be a sister to oracleappshub.com), and then delete
    them from oracleappshub.com. This is not absolutely necessary, but just a good habit to get into - in this case only
    the .htaccess file will be overwritten by the next step; the sitemap files should not be impacted, but it is easy to
    overlook a file that might be overwritten, so I always do this as a “safety” precaution .
    [ankita] this is ok, but seems this requires lot of attention, as skill to make a complete testing.

Having done that, you can copy the oracleappshub.com/ob directory’s contents (all the files and sub-directories) into the
oracleappshub.com directory, which will make the WP iindex.php be what is run whenever a visitor browses to oracleappshub.com.

The remaining steps are to modify your WordPress installation to reflect the change of path/url, and regenerate any permalinks you have already created. A detailed guide to this aspect of the project is found here, on the WordPress Codex (as well as other options!), and they explain it better than I could. While I have described the general process, they go into a lot more detail, and give some step-by-step direction.

The final steps are to then move your sitemap files back into the oracleappshub.com directory, and move any
needed .htaccess file contents that were in the directoy’s original .htaccess file into the “new” .htaccess
file that is now there (merge the contents with the one from the WP installation).

Once all is tested and working, you can then safely delete the old oracleappshub.com/ob subdirectory, as it will no longer be needed.

Actually, if you decide to go this route, it is a lot easier to do than it is to explain - reading the link I gave you to the Wordpress Codex a couple of times so that you understand what is involved will make it even easier.

Of course, the first option of just re-directing the site is even easier, ir you are happy with that result (and many are!) Good Luck, and I’ll try to provide more help if you need it, though I think you will be able to accomplish this with little trouble .

[ankita] could you please confirm , that I can delete the whole installaition as do once againfrom scractch, that means simply instllae evenying at root. would be advisble , as i am suspecting in case , if upgrade options is there there would be greater window and understnading i have.

would you share some advice , if i opt for third option , since I am very early stage where porting from wordpress is not done , so that I can make sure stuff is fine at dreamhost.

i donot know where things goes wrong, i third third options and now i am no where

donot know what should i do
here is mail that i received

We were unable to set up wordpress as requested at:
http://www.oracleappshub.com/

The problem was directory
/home/.playboy/oracleappshub/oracleappshub.com is not empty! Please re-install, specifying an empty (or new)
directory.

Please correct this and go to our web panel and re-submit your
wordpress installation request.

Thanks, and sorry about that!
The Happy DreamHost Installer Robot

now, what is best way to start with…
i had planned to installe at root only

any quick help

If you want to use the one-click install method to make a new WordPress in /home.username/oracleappshub.com, then you must move all the files from that directoryh/and the /ob directoryh to a temporary holding place above oracleappshub.com in the directory tree.

The DH one-click installer will not work if there is anything in the destination directory.

In my previous post(s) I gave you a couple of methods for ding this; but you attempted yet a third way, which I did not describe, and now you are having problems. :wink:

At this point, if it were me, I would move outside of the web accessible area (or delete) any files and directories in oracleappshub.com, and try the WordPress once-click install again - there are other methods, but from what I have seen so far, I think you would have trouble with them. :wink:

–rlparker