Help with uploading files

I am completely new to FTPing and web design.

I created a simple page using Microsoft Publisher and I have successfully uploaded the page, but none of the graphics appear on the page. I uploaded the graphic files to the server, but they do not show up.

Please help!

[Sound effect of me vomiting] MS Publisher generates some of the most extremely nauseatingly bad HTML… if I were you, I wouldn’t let it (or anything else from Microsoft) anywhere near your site.

If you gave a URL, somebody might be able to point out exactly what’s wrong with the site (if they could stand looking through the obnoxious HTML excreted by MS Publisher), but without it, it’s pure guesswork. Maybe MS Publisher did something really retarded like insert “file:” URLs pointing to your hard disk instead of actual relative URLs in your site, or it put in paths that don’t correspond to the directory structure you used on the server, or the filenames in the URLs don’t match the upper/lower case of the actual filenames.

– Dan

[quote]but none of the graphics appear on the page. I uploaded the
graphic files to the server, but they do not show up.

[/quote]

I’d do a “view source” in your web browser and check to make sure that all of your IMG tags actually point to valid image locations. My guess is that MS Publisher probably messed up the tags, and/or the images weren’t uploaded to the correct spot.

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin