Help with SSH problem

Okay, I have Putty (as suggested elsewhere in forums) and I can access my account and basically understand what to do per the Dreamhost-wiki but…

When I do an ‘ls’ command, my subdomains do not show up in the list that I want to get into to unzip a file. In fact, none of my subdomains show up. Am I missing a permissions thing or something? I am not sure I am even asking the question correctly.

I tried unzipping with the WEBftp, but it is too big and I get a message that it takes too long and not every thing unzipped. I don’t want to tie things up for others.

What am I missing?
Colleen M.

The first question I have is whether or not your subdomains are all owned by the same user.

Secondly, what directory are you in when you run the ls command?

By default, on DreamHost, all you domains (and subdomains) are placed in named directories directly under you user directory.

In other words, if you log into the shell at yourdomain.tld, you will find yourself in your “user” directory (/home//username). In this directory you should see your “domain” and “subdomain” directories (/home/username/yourdomain.tld, /home/username/sudomain.yourdomain.tld, etc.)

Guess that is what I have been trying to figure out. I thought they were all under my user name but I had created a new user to use a shell access.

I think I finally found a page in the wiki that makes it understandable for me–a visual person. Users

Am I on the right path?

Yep, you are on the right path! :wink:

Your “new” shell user will not have default permission to see the directories/files owned by your other users (which is who “owns” those domains’ files).

You don’t need to create a new “shell” user at all; you can simply “edit” your existing user(s) in the Control Panel to make them “shell enabled” (pay special attention to the second section on that page).

All that said, you can “get fancy” with unix groups and permissions to have that new shell user able to operate on the other users’ files, but it is not recommended unless you have a realloy good grasp of the security ramifications of doing that, and are pretty well versed in the unix permission system (it can get very complicated). :wink:

I recommend you login to the shell as the user who “owns” the files you want to work with, at least until you get a grasp off all this stuff.