Help with mod_rewrite

apps

This is a friendly call for help to anyone familiar with the apache mod_rewrite script.

I’ve got my Movable Type install on xxx.com and plugin (tags.app) that handles all tag searches at eg. xxx.com/mt/mt-tags.cgi and of course receives ugly URL calls in the form of mt-tags.cgi?blog_id=7&tags=$1

I have a blog on the same DH server on a different domain yyy.com and what I’m trying to do is get yyy.com/tag/whatever to rewrite into the xxx.com tag script.

I thought this rewrite would work in an htaccess file placed in the blog’s yyy.com root;

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^tag/(.+) /home/.dhserver/servername/xxx.com/mt/mt-tags.cgi?blog_id=7&tags=$1 [QSA,L]

However, it’s not working. Can anyone tell me what I’m doing wrong with my syntax or htaccess placement?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer up some advice.
Cheers.

I’m sure someone who knows more about this than me will come along and answer, but in the meantime I’d try taking the /home/.dhserver/servername/ part out. (I didn’t test it but none of my rewrites use that kind of path.)

RewriteEngine on

you want to rewrite to a url, not a file, so you don’t need file path in rule

RewriteRule ^tag/(.+) mt-tags.cgi?blog_id=7&tags=$1 [QSA,L]

What is the full url where mt-tags.cgi is located? If its not under your top directory where you serve pages from, then you’ll need to adapt the rewrite rule to fit.