Help with DNS record explanation please

Hello folks, this really cheeky, if you’ve got a moment can you explain these record types or give me a link. I know a little, like I guess the first one is mail. I was wondering what the specific syntax meant, e.g. MX:10,*,@, the . after com and why is the first one in plain-English and the rest in numerals. Didn’t realise it was so ‘subtle’. :slight_smile:

Cheers anyway.

@ MX :10
@ A
www A

•  	A

Woah! I wish I hadn’t asked.

My dear feet, this is deep.

See you in a decade…

MX means mail server, the 10 is an arbituary figure (you might have n mailservers) and the is the mailserver address. The A records are the IP of the www server. NS are the NameServers. C records are for mapping things like subdomains and those www2 addresses you used to see.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

Ah, thanks.

That arbitrary “10” in the MX record might appear arbitrary in the sense that you have “n” different numbers there if you have “n” mailservers, but IIRC that “10” is a preference or priority that indicates which mailserver is to be used before which other mailserver, with the lowest numbers being “preferred” over the higher numbers.

–DreamHost Tech Support

Yeah, I could have expounded on it. I meant that it’s arbitrary unless you have n mailservers.

People relying on webhosts don’t (usually) require MX hierarchy.

That is very true … sorry for being a bit pedantic there :wink:

–DreamHost Tech Support

haha I’m just glad you didn’t bold my spelling mistake.

I mean typo! :wink: