HELP! Where on earth has my User mailboxes gone?

Where have the settings for the mailboxes of users gone on the Panel? They used to be under Mail > Mailboxes but since this was removed, I’ve not been able to find them anywhere.

check your announcements, there should be one which explains all this. (there are, however, a few bugs in the system.)

Thanks, but I think you’re mistaken. There is no announcement that even mentions this. Particularly ‘New “Mail > Addresses” Area! (New Feature)’ does not, and in fact says:

NOTE: these changes have absolutely ZERO affect on where email gets
delivered, or what you use to log in or send and receive email!

which is clearly not the case here.

The functionality of both the “Mailboxes” and “Addresses” panel seems to have been merged. Setting up a new address allows you to also setup a new mailbox at the same time. And if you need to modify the settings of a mailbox, find the mailbox username in the “Login” column and then click on the Edit link. If you “Edit” an e-mail address that is simply being forwarded, you can setup a new mailbox for that address.

The only problem I see at the moment is with FTP/shell user mailboxes. I had removed the e-mail address for such a user mailbox before the change Now the “Create New Address” doesn’t let me setup an e-mail address again, possibly because it only had that one e-mail address, and it seems the table is keyed to e-mail addresses and not mailboxes as well.

UPDATE: ok never mind. I forgot the it was said that you have to set aliases to forward to an address already setup for a mailbox, and since I didn’t have an address on the same domain for the mailbox, the addresses were set to forward to an address on another domain.

:cool: Perl / MySQL / HTML CSS

[quote]And if you need to modify the settings of a mailbox, find the mailbox username in the “Login” column

[/quote]

Of which domain, pray? See, user mailboxes are not domain specific. And FWIW I cannot find mine under /any/ domain.

Can anyone else find anyof thier user mailboxes on the new control panel, please? If so, where?

If you go to the Mail|Addresses setting, you should see the mailboxes there. If you want to create a new mailbox, you do that under one of the Address entries or when creating a new address.

Bill…

I don’t have access to your panel so I can’t say whats going on with your account.

However while mailboxes are not domain specific, e-mail addresses are - and the new panel seems to require that each mailbox to have at least one e-mail address, lets call it a “primary address”. “secondary addresses” forward to the “primary address”.

For example on my account, I had a user mailbox, and domainA and domainB. Originally I had user@domainA as well as alias1@domainA, alias2@ domainA each deliver to that user mailbox. Then on domainB I had postmaster@domainB deliver to that mailbox. Before the changes were made, I removed the user@domainA address.

When the change was made, postmaster@domainB become the “primary address” for the user mailbox and all the other addresses were set to “forward” to that address. If I want to add user@domainA back, I have to set it to forward to postmaster@domainB because its the “primary address” for that mailbox.

Perhaps your problem is that you don’t have a “primary address” for your mailboxes - I don’t see how one is supposed to add an address to a mailbox that doesn’t have one, and I don’t know how they went about determining the “primary address” on my account, maybe on yours they didn’t do it at all. Either DH has not completed the changes or they did not think this through.

:cool: Perl / MySQL / HTML+CSS

[quote]If you go to the Mail|Addresses setting, you should see the mailboxes there.

[/quote]

Some of my /user/ mailboxes don’t appear there under any of the domains (and it is a real PITA having to select each domain individually.

[quote]Perhaps your problem is that you don’t have a “primary address” for your mailboxes

[/quote]

I think you are correct!

[quote]- I don’t see how one is supposed to add an address to a mailbox that doesn’t have one,

[/quote]

Nor do I.

And I can’t see any way to delete amailbox from an address e.g. an address that is to go to forwarding only. Can you?

If it is the primary address, simply Edit it uncheck the box for “also deliver to this DreamHost mailbox:”

Though the problem is if you do this, you then have a mailbox with no address associated with it, and will not be able to add an address back :@

Edit:

Duh, first change Edit the “primary address” to be another, then Add back what the primary address used to be.

:cool: Perl / MySQL / HTML CSS

Thanks to Niel at

http://discussion.dreamhost.com/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=forum_troubleshooting&Number=12169&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=14&vc=1#Post12169

I now find all mailboxes are listed under Users > Passwords. Why not under Mail???