Help - transfer domain

Hi,

I’m really struggling to get my head around how to do this - in part, I’m really a blank slate when it comes to the whole DNS stuff.

We have our new website set up on DreamHost. We now want domain requests (mail and web) for our existing domain (registered with MelbourneIT) to go to DreamHost i.e. web requests to the new website and mail to keep using our existing mail provider.

Can someone explain what I need to do conceptually (and simply) what I need to do with the settings at MelbourneIT and then also within DreamHost?

[edit] I think I understand the MelbourneIT side - I just change the name servers (i.e. redelegate the domain name).

I just need advice on how to tell dreamhost how to handle requests to the domain name.

Am I getting there?
[/edit]

thanks

M

After you change the DNS setting on MelbourneIT side, you can add the domain in DH server via DH panel --> Domains --> Manage Domains --> Add New Domain/Sub-Domain.

Once the domain is added to your hosting plan, you are actually already hosting the domain in DH server.

You may want to take a look at this article on how to transfer site to DH

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Transfer_your_site_to_us

$50 off and 3 free domains with code: [color=#CC0000]DH3[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

Ok, so in our web panel we now have two domains - a development domain and a production domain. What is the best way to promote the Joomla site from the development domain to the production domain?
thanks again
Matt

If they’re in the same userspace you can rename the structure in shell.

[code]$ mv -f [production].com [production].com.old

$ mv -f [development].com [production].com[/code]
Then either:

• create a new, empty development workspace with

$ mkdir [development].comOR

• copy the newly deployed site back for further development:

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

oh, ok. thanks. I’m fine with connecting from a dos prompt and ftp’ing in - but not really sure what I need to do to bring up a shell command window. I’m more from a Windows background and haven’t touched unix/linux for over 10yrs.

I use PuTTy: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

You’ll need to ensure your user has SSH privs: [color=#00CC00]Panel > Users > Manage Users[/color]

The Windoze cmd console (DOS) is shell so you should be fine :wink:

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost