Help! Totally lost!

I’m very new to this. Finally managed to connect to FTP using Filezilla. I have all the files in the right directory, but my site still shows the generic dreamhost placeholder. I have no idea what I am doing wrong.

I also have a question about hostnames and server names. If I try to connect using my domain name as my FTP hostname, I end up with this:

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message…
Response: 220 DreamHost FTP Server
Command: USER kenwat7
Response: 331 Password required for kenwat7
Command: PASS *********
Response: 530 Login incorrect.
Error: Critical error
Error: Could not connect to serve

I am having to use principal.dreamhost.com to get this:

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message…
Response: 220 DreamHost FTP Server
Command: USER kenwat7
Response: 331 Password required for kenwat7
Command: PASS *********
Response: 230 User kenwat7 logged in
Command: SYST
Response: 215 UNIX Type: L8
Command: FEAT
Response: 211-Features:
Response: MDTM
Response: MFMT
Response: TVFS
Response: UTF8
Response: MFF modify;UNIX.group;UNIX.mode;
Response: MLST modify*;perm*;size*;type*;unique*;UNIX.group*;UNIX.mode*;UNIX.owner*;
Response: LANG ko-KR.UTF-8;ko-KR;zh-TW;ja-JP.UTF-8;ja-JP;en-US;zh-CN;bg-BG;fr-FR
Response: REST STREAM
Response: SIZE
Response: 211 End
Command: OPTS UTF8 ON
Response: 200 UTF8 set to on
Command: PWD
Response: 257 “/” is the current directory
Command: TYPE I
Response: 200 Type set to I
Command: PASV
Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (173,236,168,105,226,48).
Command: MLSD
Response: 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for MLSD
Response: 226 Transfer complete

I don’t understand why my host isn’t my domain name.Maybe someone could enlighten me.

I’m not sure what you’ve done.

Your domain name and the servername.dreamhost.com name should be interchangeable. That is, you should be able to use either one to log into your server via FTP. The recommendation is to use the servername version until DNS has propagated, then save the domain name version in your client. If your server is ever changed by dreamhost you will still reach the correct place when using your domain name.

Now back to the problem, what’s even more confusing in your case is that the generic coming soon page for kentonwatts.com shows that it is for secure.artandculturecenter.org, this doesn’t really make sense on the surface, it seems like there is another piece to the puzzle that you haven’t given us.

FWIW… ftp is not secure and is yesterday’s technology. You really should shift to SFTP (you can still use filezilla) and ultimately check the box in the dreamhost panel that says “disallow ftp”.

The crazy thing is that I purchased the domain name on 1/31/14. I never touched it. That placeholder has been sitting there ever since I made the purchase.

The only way I was able to login to FTP was using principal.dreamhost.com
That doesn’t seem right at all. I can’t use my domain name at all and it work.

Yesterday was literally the first time I have tried to do anything with the site/domain name. I feel like there has to be some sort of error on Dreamhost side. I’ve followed the instructions on the wiki completely.

What exactly is shown on the “manage domains” page of the panel for the domain kentonwatts.com? Especially the “Web hosting” column.

Domain Web Hosting
kentonwatts.com Fully Hosted / User: kenwat7

That is what it should say.

I don’t understand what has happaned here. You might try the chat with support option in the panel. Refer them to this thread to save some typing to explain the problem, then let us know what the answer was because frankly I’m curious…

I don’t think the site ever propagated properly or something. I don’t know what the issue is.