HELP! Problems setting up my phpBB

apps

I have been trying today to set up a phpBB discussion forum on my site. I am not sure if I’m screwing something up, or if the problem is related to an apparent hack attempt on phpBB.com (and a posible database outage?). Here is the error messages returned:

[b]Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/.lanai/chopperdaddy/z***s.com/forum/db/mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/.lanai/chopperdaddy/z***s.com/forum/db/mysql4.php on line 331
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database[/b]

Any help would be appreciated. THANKS!

It’s just that you couldn’t connect to the database. Make sure you put your host as “db_domain.domain.com” instead of the default local host.
And if you’ve just set up the database/users or just made a change, then you need to wait for a few hours. You can log in and make sure everything is working by going to
db_domain.domain.com
in your web browser. Then entering your user name and password. If that works, then transfer those details to the install of phpbb.

Also, if you are installing/testing it on your machine now, and just using DH for database hosting then you will need to add your IP to the users information.

Thanks for the tip. I tried, and am able to log in to phpMyAdmin. I am still getting the same access errors while attempting to do the initial setup of phpBB for my site.

Which step/part of the installation is it freezing on again? Are you able to input any of the database connection strings? Have a look to see if there is a config.php file in your forum directory. If so, edit it and see if the strings you entered are correct.

I am trying to do a clean, basic install as per the email from DH. I grabbed phpBB from the goodies installer page.

There is a config.php file, but it is empty.

Try downloading a copy from the official site. It’s just a case of unzipping it and uploading it. You have to create the database manually and user but that should be it. Besides, I’m not sure if DH’s install is the most recent.

Official site: http://www.phpbb.com/ (above link incorrect).

The site is still down, BTW, due to the defacement/lockout hack related to the AWStats exploit. But, they should be back up soon.

you can download from the sourceforge site

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=7885&package_id=28882&release_id=283691

and if you need help, you can send temporary support requests in Area51s site at
http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/

I had this same problem when I installed the PHPBB from the goodies tab. I had to wait about 4 hours before I could log in with phpmyadmin, but after that things started working.

For some reason it seems that the new database is not getting set up quite as fast as dreamhost says it’s suposed to now. But it’s still a lot quicker than it was before, and I’m happy for that.