Help me pick the right one!

Ok, I am about to bite the Dreamhost bullet. I will be running my ecommerce site on here. I think it fits my needs well enough. The only issue I have is this, I plan to use ZenCart and have google checkout, paypal, and my linkpoint account as options to checkout. With the linkpoint I think I need a static IP and/or the SSL stuff. I want to use a promo code but need to make sure I get the right deal setup. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

If you use promo code FIDGETIP you get one free IP plus $67 off (the max discount)

For 30% more diskspace, 30% more bandwidth, and $40 off use promo code [color=#CC0000]THEFULLMONTY[/color]

fidgeting.net

What about the SSL? Is that something that is “needed”? I am new to this sorta stuff and want to do it right.

For an e-commerce site, SSL is something really needed.

Yes, you will generally need an SSL cert if you’re going to have people entering their credit card information on your site. There are, of course, ways to handle payment via a third party, but if you’re going to want to support all the payment methods you mention, I think you’re going to have to buy an SSL cert for your site.

You can buy this from DreamHost’s partner, but they’re also fine with you getting one on your own. When I last checked, the cheapest were $60-$80 a year except for the mysteriously cheap GoDaddy certs that can be as low as $19.95 a year.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

So is that only available on the level4 plan? Or is it something that can be added to a lower plan (like level1)

Gotcha. Thanks Lensman. So I can still get the Level1 that I wanted and then get the SSL cert and add to it then? Also I will still need the Static IP correct? Thanks alot ya’ll.

As I understand it, you can add a cert to any plan, but it is include with the L4 “Strictly Business” plan.

For 30% more diskspace, 30% more bandwidth, and $40 off use promo code [color=#CC0000]THEFULLMONTY[/color]

fidgeting.net

BTW, there are a number of articles on site security on the ZenCart site itself.

Basic snippet on SSL certificates in the Zen Cart tutorial.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Yes and yes. You need a unique IP address because the SSL protocol doesn’t look at host headers. The idea is that your certificate will be installed for the unique IP address that you specify.

Awesome. You have been ever so helpful. Also thank you for the links. One last question before I go place my order. The static IP that DH uses can change from time to time according to their info on the site. This is due to “network topography changes”. So when that changes I will just need to update the SSL stuff with the new IP. Correct?

No, I’m not an expert in this area, but I believe that the idea is that the SSL certificate is issued and installed on your server. During SSL negotiation, the concept is that your server will “present” the certificate to the client browser, confirming that the server at the IP address that it is talking to is, in fact, your site (after various paranoid double-checking).

Looking back at your previous email, I see that you mentioned needing a “static” IP address. I thought this was a typo but I was wrong. Let me correct that and emphasize that what you need is a “unique” IP address. That is, your site has to be the only one that uses that IP address.

Most shared hosts have a number of sites sharing the same IP address and use the “host:” header to dispatch the request correctly. The SSL protocol does not have or use anything equivalent, so there can “only” be one certificate presented by a particular IP address.

Let me know if that was still a little unclear.

Perfectly clear. I mistyped it when I said “static” instead of “unique”. That makes perfect sense now. Thank you so very much. I will be placing my order as soon as I figure out a domain to register as I already have my business one elsewhere that I will be moving to DH. Thanks alot!

Remember that you don’t have to pick a new domain to register immediately. You can start with either just a *.dreamhosters.com address or start with none and just start the process of moving your old site over. You’ll have one “domain registration credit” available for when you need one. Regarding promo codes, you should also be aware that if you think you’re going to register more domains, you can also find a promo code that offers extra free domain registrations in addition to the unique IP address that you’ll need (just look in people’s sigs for codes or links to pages describing more codes). Finally, if you don’t think you’ll need those extra domains, remember that you will be able to renew your existing domain for another year with that domain credit, as well as get free renewal every year for it. (So there’s some logic to not registering a domain at all at this point).

You’re very welcome!

From my experience with google checkout and paypal, and the information shown in linkpoint website, all of them can handle the SSL in their side. They can collect the sensitive information all by themselves. It is actually prefered by many shopper because it reduce their risk of having so many shop got their card information.

So, if you can just use their facility, there will be no need for you to pay say $80 a year for the SSL cert.

However, if you would really liked to handle the order and card information all by your own site, you have your own choice.

PromoCode
FULL_97_OFF <-CLICK = host 1 yr for $22.4
[color=#CC0000]LIFE_IP_67_OFF
2_DOMS_67_OFF
3_DOMS_52_OFF[/color]

Justmade is correct.
if u are using google checkout u dont need the cert or the unique IP, since they will be handling all the information.

BUGabundo :o)
promo here
50$ discount with promo code “BUG50” on ALL plans
Free lifetime Domain with “BUGDOMAIN” promo code

OK, I have to speak up for the OP. The OP said:

So I think they’re well aware that with the Google Checkout and PayPal payment options, SSL will be provided by Google and PayPal and not his site.

I think the issue in question is LinkPoint. It is my understanding that LinkPoint (among other things) provides an API for payment processing (e.g. credit card processing). The idea is that you take all the required information down on your site (all this is provided by the ZenCart plugin, I believe) and you transmit this information through the LinkPoint API to LinkPoint servers.

Yes, this is ONE of the options that linkpoint provided. There are other options which act similar to paypal and google checkout which linkpoint collect the secure data themselves.

So, I think the information you provided is very useful if he choose your mentioned option. I only added that he got other options if he want to save up that SSL cert / IP cost. It is up to his own choice.

PromoCode
FULL_97_OFF <-CLICK = host 1 yr for $22.4
[color=#CC0000]LIFE_IP_67_OFF
2_DOMS_67_OFF
3_DOMS_52_OFF[/color]

Linkpoint Connect is Linkpoint’s “html” module where you redirect your users to Linkpoint’s web servers for payment processing. However, as far as I know, there is no ZenCart plugin for Linkpoint Connect. The ZenCart Linkpoint plugin uses the Linkpoint API instead.

As someone in another thread who I admire greatly said, I only mention this to avoid any confusion by the original poster, not to get in a fight about right and wrong. The original poster said they were interested in using Linkpoint payment processing in conjunction with ZenCart and I don’t want them to get the impression that they won’t need an SSL cert to process via Linkpoint using ZenCart.