Help Me Find a Good Chat Script

apps

The chat room that my message board host uses is real messed up, so my site members want me to find an alternative. I looked in DH’s one-click installs, but I didn’t see a chat script.

Can anyone recommend one that is reliable and easy to install?

Do you mean forum software or “chat” like IM?

The only forum software that I know of that DH one-clicks is phpbb. It’s pretty common, you may actually be already using it.

Wholly - Use promo code WhollyMindless for full 97$ credit. Let me know if you want something else!

You have to be pretty careful if you elect to implement a “chat script” on a DreamHost shared server. Note the DreamHost TOS, which says in relevant part:

[quote]

"MATERIAL PRODUCTS …

1. Servers are shared with other customers, and as such IRC-related activities or severely CPU intensive CGI scripts (e.g. chat scripts, proxy scripts, scripts which have bugs causing them to not close properly after being run) are not encouraged. … If your processes are adversely affecting server performance disproportionately DreamHost Web Hosting reserves the right to negotiate additional charges with the Customer and/or the discontinuation of the offending processes."[/quote]
    (bolding is mine)

Many “chat scripts” out there are very CPU intensive, and can also contribute to an overloading of concurrent connections. It my opinion that, generally speaking, most “chat scripts” that your users will “like” could well be a problem on a shared server, particularly if the like the script enough to give it heavy use. :wink:

–rlparker

http://geekchat.net/main-v3/

Do you know that you can run a Jabber chat room on your web site? The downside is that participants have to install and use Jabber IM clients.

And google talk is one of them. :wink:

TTL
Get Dreamhost hosting 600 GB space with $50 off plus 1 extra lifetime domain with [color=#00CC00]CHRISTMAS2007[/color] promo code
[color=#00CC00]SIGN UP NOW !![/color]

Although Jabber allows multiuser sessions, Google has that disabled. Sigh…