Help! How Do I Get my Domain To Work?

I have a website hosted by a different server.
I just bought a domain through dreamhost.

How do I make it so that when you type in my domain name, that it goes to the website/content I have on that other server? I’m BEYOND confused.

Say my username was www.helpmeout.com, and I got it through Dreamhost. But my website’s address was www.ohmanimclueless.com/noidea.html… how do I go about setting that up?

I’ve seen something before. You can point a domain name to another domain name. For example, if you key in domain1.com, you will be directed to domain2.com

ah… here it is. check DH panel --> Domains --> Manage Domains --> Web Hosting --> Domain redirect

Btw, why do you want to direct this domain to another one. You can host www.ohmanimclueless.com in DH by setting up the dns. check http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/KB_/Domains/Transfers/_Transfer_Hosting

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].

Nathan, I’m not sure that the wiki article you linked is the one you meant to link, as it contains no content. :wink:

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

haha, thanks mark. I’ve updated the link :slight_smile:

btw, I’ve finished the last exam today. RELAX!!!

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].

Well done dude, I hope you did well.

Now all the stress is behind you, go out and celebrate. :wink:

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

thax thax.

we are celebrating lunar new year here. Wish everybody all the best

Why is it that when I go to my manage domains page, it has none listed, but the domain is listed on my “manage Domain Registrations” page. This is so frustrating.

Only the domains you have ‘added’ to the DreamHost hosting system will be shown under the Manage Domains section. If you do not have a hosting plan under your account, you will not be able to add a domain to the hosting system.

Mark

So the domain I just bought on dreamhost, I can’t use without paying for webspace/hosting?

Yes, you usually need a hosting package…although, you don’t have to host it here, you can host it anywhere, but you do need a hosting package. Domain name registering and website hosting are two separate things.

If you have hosting elsewhere and that hosting supports a domain name registered elsewhere, then you may be able to use the domain by simply pointing the name servers to your hosting company.

You will need to obtain the name servers from your host, you can then configure your domain in the panel at Domains -> Registrations, then modify the whois information for the domain.

Mark