Help! “DiscusWare”, “YaBB 2”, any free message bo

I installed the free version of “DiscusWare” and had if working fine. It took a long time to get it set up, copying files and changing the files attributes to “777”. After spending hours getting it all set up, creating forums, sub-forums, etc. I lean you have to pay $150 to get a version that allows new users to register at your site!! So all that time was for nothing.

So next I tried “YaBB 2” I could never get any of the .pl files to open. I tried everything… Plus I don’t understand the “Perl” part of it…? Also I read on here that YaBB was bad for the site over all so I don’t want to use it if that is true.

Can anyone recommend a FREE message board package that will work here on DreamHost that can have basic message board abilities? I would love it to be able to have avatars, link pics with the commands, and of course allow people to register unlike the free version of “DiscusWare”. Maybe I can still use YaBB 2? But how do you get it so you can open the .pl files?

Thanks!!

I run one happylittlethings.com using phpbb. In recent months there have been some security issues with phpbb but the patches have been released ASAP. There are plans to release a beta for the new version soon which will have a lot of new features too if you find the current version lacking.

PHP runs great on Dreamhost so I would at least give it a try :slight_smile:

willscorner.net

FYI, YaBB SE now becomes SMF (SimpleMachines):

http://www.yabbse.org/yse_history.html

You may want to give them a try too.

But yes, phpBB is a more mature product with better support and even skins and hacks, although to be frank it never even comes close to vB; but hey, it’s free! :wink:

Hope this helps.

GungHost.com - Gung-ho Web Hosting :: $7.95/mo for 800 MB Disk and 120 GB Transfer

Hi, I still need some help. I’m now trying to set up phpBB2. I got all the files moved up, I created my “mysql” db and can log into it from the dreamhost site. I get the install screen for phpbb2 when I go to my site. But after putting in all the info and trying to istall I get this message -

"Warning: mysql_connect(): Can’t connect to MySQL server on ‘the777spot.dreamhosters.com’ (111) in /home/.gargamel/the777/the777spot.dreamhosters.com/db/mysql4.php on line 48

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/.gargamel/the777/the777spot.dreamhosters.com/db/mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/.gargamel/the777/the777spot.dreamhosters.com/db/mysql4.php on line 331
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database"

I’m really confused as to what I did wrong or why it wont install. Can someone that know this stuff better please help me?

Thanks a lot, I’m learning a lot getting this all put together.