Help creating a hit counter

Hi
If you’d like to create and set up a hit counter, you can get an interactive help at:

http://bchmp.net/tutoriaux/TutoCounter.php3

It lets you try and test your options [given or not given at http://counter.dreamhost.com/]
and it generates your personalized img html tag.
Also works on Clock and Date counter mode.

(lang= English French Spanish)

Hope this helps.

It is worth noting that hit counters are considered to be rather amateurish, which is why you rarely see them on business sites. Serious websites should really limit their use to things like download counters, and not for reporting user hits (which is a meaningless statistic anyway).

DreamHost already offers a statistics package (http://example.com/stats/) which provides much more in the way of useful user data, including hits if they are really desired.

Simon Jessey | Keystone Websites
Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY97[/color]

Hi

I think Internet is a space of freedom and not only business oriented.
DreamHost currently offers the possibility of installing hit counters on its hosted homepages. My small help is just intended to help beginners.
Some amateurs (which IMO is a noble word) would probably like to put hit counters on their pages especially when starting to design their own home page. They would feel encouraged to see if their homepages have had some visitors and don’t care much about analyzing statistics.

I’m wondering about your comment motivations.
Were you writing it as a DreamHost representative or is it just a personal opinion ?

No analysis is necessary. You just go there, and read the numbers. For the novice user, there is all kinds of useful information that a hit counter cannot provide, such as the ability to track errors like missing pages (404). Unlike hit counters, the numbers are not misleading. Information about unique visitors is far more useful than simple page views.

[quote]I’m wondering about your comment motivations.
Were you writing it as a DreamHost representative or is it just a personal opinion?[/quote]
It is important to note that I am not a DreamHost employee, or a representative of DreamHost. Given the choice you offered, I would say that my comment was motivated on personal opinion; however, that would be an inaccurate statement. The amateurish nature of hit counters is often discussed, and well documented:

1. Amateur Web Sites - the Top Ten Signs
  2. Common Web Page Mistakes
  3. Professional Web Design 101: Thou Shall Not…

Basically, hit counters rank up there with use of and , animated GIFs, animated or busy background images, “under construction” notices, frames, Flash-intros, and horizontal scrollbars.

Just out of interest… I was not aware of the stats page for each domain… guess I’ve never looked… Question is, which password are you supposed to use to log into it? I have tried my webpanel one and my ftp one to no avail…

Users can be added on a per domain basis at Control Panel >> Status >> Statistics.

Poor me !
I just wanted to help those who whatever experts say, jumped into DH counter page and wanted to give it a try.
And all I got is that despising and dismissing comment.
This world is full of experts. Note that when you see their works, things just become funny :slight_smile:

Eh? How did you get that impression? All I did was point out that counters are not considered to be signs of professionalism.

And what exactly do you mean by that?

I’ve been in this game for quite a while, Bob, but it doesn’t need an expert to tell you that hit counters are for amateurs. They give utterly meaningless information, of no use to either the owner or the user. Post counters (like in a forum), comment counters (like in a blog) and download counters are useful, but hit counters are not. That is just the way it is.

That burden is often mine. :wink:

It is obvious that you have spoiled this thread which had the very simple aim to help others with hit counters if they wanted to.
You decided that hit counters had to be banned from Internet.
And you initiated a very dismisssive answer from a newby who performed a very rude change of this thread’s topic that you kindly replied to.

Why didn’t you go to DH Wiki and post there or ask DH to cancel all information about DH hit counters?

Now that you have messed up with my original post and its simple intention, it has become useless and I will ask DH to delete the thread or at least all of my posts in it.

As for my comment about experts, it means exactly what it says.
Experts are very stricts with others but when put to the workbench, the results dont show the high standards they request from others. Thats life.

Thank you Bob.

You have understood what was my purpose.
Just helping.

I do not need to be thanked.
For years I have been helping people on the net for free.

Best regards.
Mike

[quote]It is obvious that you have spoiled this thread which had the very simple aim to help others with hit counters if they wanted to.
You decided that hit counters had to be banned from Internet.[/quote]
I didn’t “spoil” anything. Nor did I “decide” anything. I simply stated that hit counters do not provide information anywhere near as useful as the statistics package that we all enjoy, and that they are an indication of a lack of professionalism.

This is the discussion forum. The wiki is a place for articles, not discussion.

Now you are just being melodramatic. There was nothing wrong with your post, and there was nothing wrong with my reply. Both were equally informative.

Perhaps that is the case, but it is clear that you were suggesting that my standards fall below what I expect from others, which is a personal attack. Apart from the very first site I built (which was built with FrontPage, had frames, and even a hit counter), I am proud of the work I have done. I have embraced web standards and followed usability “best practices” to the best of my ability. I have also done the best I can to share what I have learned, as evidenced by my work on the wiki.

[quote]I do not need to be thanked.
For years I have been helping people on the net for free.[/quote]
Me too.

Thank you, Bob. I’d be totally lost without your constant support and encouragment.

I don’t write wiki articles on what you shouldn’t do. That would be a waste of time. I try to write them on what you should do.

mybeau,

Please do not let the belittling or condescending remarks of another poster deprive others of the fuits of your sharing, or yourself of the satisfaction of having done something “good” by sharing with others.

Some posts are probably just best ignored. I don’t personally use, or like, hit counters myself, but some people do and you provided a nice bit of service to beginning users with yourpost. Good job, and that is its own reward!

–rlparker

[quote]…download counters are useful, but hit counters are not. That is just the way it is.
[/quote]

Personally, I’ve always thought scrawny little “pocket dogs” and most pet cats (especially my girlfriend’s!) are completely useless, but it has been my experience that others seem to like them :-). I think hit counters are a lot like pets: pretty useless but they seem to bring some people joy. Fair enough.

I also can’t help but notice (by looking at the occasional web site) that the web does not seem to be all about “professionalism” ; who knows why someone would take the time to put most of the stuff that is on the web online. For me, I suspect that is part of what I like about it. There is really nothing at all to prevent someone from being “as bad as they want to be” on the web. I would rather filer that, than have the web full of only “professionals.”

–rlparker

Now, now, Mybeau…please calm down and “take the high road” here. Please don’t let one person ruin your work for others.

[quote]
Experts are very stricts with others but when put to the workbench, the results dont show the high standards they request from others. Thats life.[/quote]
And that is a very perceptive comment. While I develop websites for a (modest) living, and some graciously attribute me with a degree of “expertise”, I haven’t touched my “home” page in well over 5 years, and I am very ashamed of its present appearance. Kinda of like the old saying that, “The cobbler’s children have no shoes,” I’ve been too busy learning and improving the work I do for my clients to ever seem to find the time to bring my own site up a reasonable level of modern standards or useability.

–rlparker

Thanks rlparker.

I won’t stop helping others. It’s a good part of my life. There are many places on the Web or else where I can do that.
I just remember the time when I started with simple Html (years ago).
I got many encouragements from patient helpers. I have never forgotten that and I do my best to pay them back.
I’m pissed off when I think how much I would have been disappointed about trying a “new” thing and learning it’s considered just crap.
Everybody has to walk his own pace and try everything. That is _ I believe_ what makes it fun to begin with web design.
After that, one can become as much sophisticated he wants or is able to.

Re your home page, the important thing is the fun you had at the time you built it, no matter the way you see it now.
(Unless you use it to advertise for your business I mean Hahaha)

Yeah funny old saying. We have about the same here (approx~ The cobbler always wears worn shoes) … Why did they chose cobblers ??

Best
Mike