Having trouble uploading website

I’ve never had my own website before so FTP stuff is confusing to me. I’ve managed to log in with filezilla, and I’ve uploaded an index.html, but my browser still say that my site doesn’t exist/not available.

My domain is distant-skies.net
Could anyone help me figure out what’s wrong?

When you log into ftp you are placed in your HOME directory… If you added distant-skies.net via the panel then you should see a directory named distant-skies.net within the home directory. (if you don’t then you are most likely using the wrong user for that domain).

Change into that distant-skies.net directory (if it’s not there don’t create it, if the domain has been added as fully hosted it will be created for you, if it not there it means you’re using the wrong user.) and upload your index.html into that distant-skies.net directory.

I did all of that, index.html is in the distant-skies.net directory. There’s only one user and it says its fully hosted. But it still says it doesn’t exist.

Actually looking a couple things up, there is something wrong…

I do see whois information on your domain and see that it was created awhile ago, and the nameservers do point to dreamhost, but the domain hasn’t propagated anywhere… which is weird.

Try going to manage domains in the panel… scroll down to the line with distant-skies.net and verify it does say “fully hosted” in the web hosting column. Then click the DNS link right under the name, and press the button on the next page to refresh the DNS for the domain. That won’t bring instant joy, but should solve it in the next 12 hours.

Looks like your DNS records got stuck on our end somewhere, I’m so sorry about that! I’ve pushed through the necessary configurations though, so now it’s just a matter of waiting. Once DNS records are changed, your site can take some time to be recognized by all networks worldwide. The time it takes for the new records to propagate can vary greatly, from just a few minutes to a day or two in some cases. There’s a site you can use to see where your domain is resolving from, as visited from multiple countries, which you can use like this: http://www.whatsmydns.net/#A/distant-skies.net

If you have any questions, feel free to contact support via your web panel too. Thanks so much for your patience with this!

Thank you, both of you for looking into it. I was convinced I had done something wrong and spent several hours last night researching and trying to make sure everything was correct. I’m glad it was an easy fix.

Everything seems to be working now, thanks again! :smiley: