Having a problem with new ftp config

Ok so I added somone to my ftp access so they could help me with my page. Well, I can’t figure out for the life of me how to enable them to access the public_html folder… it just gives them access to folders in the directory with their name, which is maildir and logs

can someone help with this? I can’t find options to change this anywhere…

if i kill you, you’d be dead-- yenji

UNIX (DreamHost’s operating system design) doesn’t readily allow for people to co-own directories and files. If you want to completely co-own your website, you’ll have to use the same FTP username and password.

What you’re seeing is that each person has their own home directory. FTP won’t let a user go to another user’s home directory. However, SFTP will, but there’s still the ownership issue.

I see two options to completely share your home directory:

1. The easy way is to use the same username and password. I always create an FTP user for each domain I create. I suggest you create a new user you can both log in as and put your website there (i.e. go to Manage Domains and change the owner).
  2. The hard way is to set up a cronjob to constantly assign group write privileges to all of your website files, and use SFTP so that user can switch to your domain directory.

Oh, and there’s no public_html folder. Inside your directory with maildir and logs is YOURDOMAIN.com, the “public_html” directory for your site.

-Scott

That is not a simple task, if you also want to have access to the public_html directory. You can learn more about that in the Dreamhost Wiki article on users and this additional article which discusses sharing.

There are some workarounds for this if you are willing to get fairly heavily involved in *nix style permissions, but it can get pretty complicated, and involves using *nix groups.

You may also want to consider re-mapping a sub-dir

It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you just want another person to be able to upload things to your site, and file upload script that allows them to upload but leave all the files belonging to you, is probably the best way to go.

–rlparker