Has my SSH been compromised?

Hi

I just created a Dreamhost account and gave my only user SSH access. I’ve logged in via Putty and after verifying that all was working I did a WHO command.

As well as myself I saw two other users listed. I logged off, and logged back on. I tried WHO again and saw three other users listed. One of the listed users is ROOT.

Since I haven’t given any details to any other persons, can I assume something is seriously amiss?

No, the servers at Dreamhost are shared, so you’re just seeing other users who share your server. Your files and processes are separate and access controlled at the user level, so you can’t see their files and processes and they can’t see your files and processes.

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off
More Dreamhost coupons here!

Hmm, thanks Lensman.

I wondered about that but a while back I had access to another shared server at Dreamhost via SSH and never saw any other users logged on other than people I knew.

The other thing is that when I try to FINGER the listed users I get a “no such user” error.

Normal?

[quote]The other thing is that when I try to FINGER the listed users I get a “no such user” error.

Normal?[/quote]
Try finger with no arguments and you might see why you’re getting the “no such user” error for the user you selected.

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off
More Dreamhost coupons here!