Has anyone else's site "disappeared"?

My website “Made In Slant”

http://www.madeinslant.com

literally disappeared yesterday afternoon (a little after 4pm).

I have submitted multiple support requests, paid $9 to talk to a tech
support guy, and exchanged several emails with tech support.

The tech person at Dreamhost told me that my acct is empty!
He said that there is not trace of any files being deleted or any other activity.
Unbelievable! I asked to contact his manager.

His manager said that last month they
"moved (my) your account to a new server and
based on your recent issues, the data for your domain was not migrated
over successfully."

I emailed him back saying this does NOT make sense because I was ON
may site yesterday before 4pm and it was FINE.

I have put 2+ years of hard work into my site and now apparently the content it all gone.

Doesn’t Dreamhost do backups? Has anyone ever heard of Dreamhost losing
ALL of someone’s content before?

I submitted another request to have my site’s files restored but have received NO response.

The tech support guy’s manager (Patrick) said he would issue me 1 month’s credit
but I dont’ care! I NEED my site’s content back!!!

Please help someone.
Rose

This is just so strange that everything appears to have gone missing “without a trace”. Google cached your site recently which shows it didn’t go missing a month ago during the server move.

Is it possible that you have another user account in your Panel with the website data in it’s userspace and somehow the domain was switched to serve from a user with an empty domain folder?

I know it hasn’t been “missing” for a month because I was just using it yesterday!
The tech support people seem to just give out the easiest answer
without doing any investigation.

There is no other user acct on my Panel. But I really appreciate all your help, sXi.

Anything else you can think of would be incredibly helpful.

I wish I could help. It just seems so bizarre that everything could simply vanish like that. It reminds me of when a DreamHoster a few years ago posted claiming that someone else’s live website just “showed up” in one of their accounts. I can’t recall the circumstances, but perhaps AndrewF, Lakerat, or another old-skooler here might remember what happened.

An automatic robot program installed the last 10 posts (text only) back on my site. My site has well over 1000 posts, hundreds of drafts, and 5000+ images which must be restored.

This is content I have
collected over 2+ years. It is irreplaceable. I have invested more than 2 years of my life
building this site and have 15000+ unique visitors per month.

Dreamhost backs up their sites everyday. I need an informed person (not an automated
robot) to re-populate my site with my data.

This is a devastating loss.

I replied in your other post - https://discussion.dreamhost.com/thread-137113.html - Making the multiple posts does make it a little harder on us to actually help you out, but I understand your pain here.

Your posts are there, but I wasn’t able to find backups of your images. The .htaccess file was missing, so when I re-created it, you could access your posts. Also it was looking in the wrong place for your theme, and I fixed that as well.

Yes.

[quote=“eyeswoon, post:1, topic:59188”]My website “Made In Slant” literally disappeared yesterday afternoon (a little after 4pm).

The tech person at Dreamhost told me that my acct is empty! He said that there is not trace of any files being deleted or any other activity.

His manager said that last month they “moved (my) your account to a new server and based on your recent issues, the data for your domain was not migrated over successfully.”

I emailed him back saying this does NOT make sense because I was ON
may site yesterday before 4pm and it was FINE.

The tech support guy’s manager (Patrick) said he would issue me 1 month’s credit but I dont’ care! I NEED my site’s content back!!![/quote]

It’s not clear if the manager double-checked or made an educated guess, however it’s probably safe to assume that the first Tech looked for the files “where they should be” and found nothing in your userspace and the initial logical reason for that (from their standpoint) would be that a technical failure of some description occurred during the migration.

The site was functioning normally when you last posted on it just a day ago, so the data and images were being loaded successfully from “somewhere” - so let’s try to eliminate some possible “somewheres”.

Did you create the website alone or did you employ assistance at any stage?

Was the WordPress site set up via the One-Click process? (There was an issue with it very recently).

You’ve already said you don’t have an extra user account inside your Panel, but I’m going to ask that you take another quick peek by clicking on Users > Manage Users inside your Panel. The reason I ask is that sometimes users take advantage of directory remapping, and the wp-content might be something that could be remapped to another location for back-up purposes.

After ruling out the above possible points of failure…

You made mention in another thread that after conversing with Support about the missing website that “They emailed me (minimal) instructions with a non-working userid!”. If I’m reading that correctly, then this is extremely troubling and is the reason I’m going to make this last seemingly ridiculous suggestion:

Ask Support to check the records to see if any other user on the louisa server was either moved or had their account closed recently. If so, ask if they could check where that user’s data was moved to and request that they do a cursory search for your data at that user’s new location.

I really hope you get all that data back.

eyeswoon: Replied to your other post here :slight_smile:

Just for what it’s worth, the issue with one-click upgrades wouldn’t have deleted her site like that.