Has anyone else noticed -- How CRAP the tech support has become?

Ive been using DH for years…and it used to be decent…like every company there would be the occasional glitch…and it would take an average of 4 hours to get support to reply to a ticket… sometimes a bit longer… occasionally much faster.

Over the last year in particular…OMG… could it get any slower…the last one took 2 DAYS…for a reply…and by then I didnt need help because after realizing I was TOTALLY ON MY OWN…I finally had to manually completely remake the website from scratch. No not restore it, redo it entirely.

2 of my sites are currently down…support request is over 14 hours old…with NO REPLY…the site owners are PISSED…but not as pissed as I am… I think its time to shop for new hosting…Im dropping a bundle on a VPS every month…so NOT worth it any longer…

And dont get me started on how USELESS first level tech support is regardless…esp if you have a VPS… NO MATTER WHAT the problem… your first reply from them will pretty much be …hmmmmm you need to add MORE RESOURCES… yes thats it…spend more money with us…that’ll solve your problem… that has yet (with one exception) been the issue.

Well at least there is the alternative of live chat help… oh…wait… its never actually turned on…at least anytime I have tried it in the last year.

Anyone else??? Maybe a few hundred (or thousand, Im guessing that would not be an inaccurate number) replies about the CRAP response time might do some good, though I doubt it…my time might be better spent looking for a decent host.

I totally agree with you. I posted my own rant about PS last week - http://discussion.dreamhost.com/thread-134322.html

The level of service on PS for the money we are paying is shocking (particularly the response and rectification times when anything goes wrong).

Haha, yes. I came here to complain about this as well and saw your post. Support has gotten extremely slow and the responses have been lackluster at best. I don’t know if it’s simply a matter of not being able to find knowledgeable people to come work for them or if they just no longer care.

I only have one VPS, but my issue is that it is insanely slow. It has taken up to 20 seconds (I’ve been timing) to save small text files in vi while on the shell. Often times I’ll be typing on the shell and it becomes unresponsive for 5-10 seconds, sometimes longer. It’s quite annoying. I’ve been trying to get moved to another server for several days now.

more than 3 days and still no response. I’ve changed webhosts.

Haven’t really noticed, but even at Dedicated Hosting levels, we get the shaft! Responses from tech/sales teach using webpanel always had been less than an hour to two, but now it’s nearly a day before any response.

I agree, and it’s infuriating. I’ve been a customer since 2007 and tech support has gone from being quick and friendly to less quick, terse, and less helpful. It’s still better than the garbage tech support I’m used to getting from companies these days, but it makes holding a Dreamhost account that much less alluring.

I have also been with dreamhost for years now and I cannot wait to get away. I just found out my website was infected from when dreamhost was attacked last month and I cannot get any help whatsoever. It’s been over 24 hours with no responses and there chat has been down for this same period. If you are thinking about dreamhost or are already here I would definitely recommend going to anybody else, especially someone who actually has a phone number that you can reach someone if you have a problem.

I had an issue with my account being hacked. I fixed the issue myself, then emailed tech support to complain about the company’s silence on the major hacking that’s been going on. 72 hours later, I get an email from the “DH hack robot” with a report on infected files. It was helpful but too late, didn’t address my actual complaint, and didn’t actually engage me in any conversation about the issue (I expect a prompt response from a human – this was the best part of being a DH customer).

If this keeps up, i’m just going to suck it up and pay more for a better host.

I’ve been a loyal DH subscriber for 5 years, but I’m going to find another host. The support has become horrendous.

Another customer of 5 years - for 2 months I have been experiencing intermittent email bounces to all my accounts at DreamHost.

Four times I’ve been told that the issue is fixed - it isn’t.

This is the first time that I’ve really needed technical support and I am gutted to discover that it is virtually non-existent: terse and uninformative at best.

I have now lost business due to emails that I did not receive.

My latest support ticket has gone unanswered for 8 days.

I am currently investigating alternative hosting arrangements.

My MySQL database crashed today and one of the tables went corrupted. Submitted a ticket with EXTREME CRITICAL EMERGENCY as type of request. It’s been six hours since I submitted the ticket, nothing from support.

I actually fixed the problem myself by doing a repair of the table in question by logging in SSH and log in to the database with mysql -h [hostname] -u [username] -p[password] [database_name] and performed a manual REPAIR TABLE and OPTIMIZE TABLE. The whole thing took ten minutes to fix. I just withdrew the message. :slight_smile:

Sometimes you just have to calm down and look for ways to fix the problem yourself. You can’t always rely on support, unfortunately. I am not complaining though, for the price I am paying, I am getting a very good bargain.

It is something that people lose sight of with shared hosting. It costs, what, $0.01 per hour? Just turning on the lights at my flat costs more than that. Perhaps even the cost of running my own computer costs more than that.

Agreed. I’d even push that up a notch and offer that problems are more often than not created by the end user themselves.

I’ve been a customer for 7 years and things used to be great. I’ve actually recommended DH to a lot of people along the years. Not anymore!

Things are speeding downhill as of late and customer support is apparently one of the victims. At the moment I have been waiting for 4 days for an answer on a support ticket about my site being hacked.

Do you call the electricity company when your toaster stops working? What, exactly, do you expect DH to do? Seriously, where do you see any mention of the service you purchased from DH to include managing your web apps? At most it says that DH will install it for you. Have you actually read the Terms of Service which clearly states that (emphasis mine):

[quote]
WHEREAS, DreamHost Web Hosting is an information provider connected to the Internet DreamHost Web Hosting offers storage and transfer services over the Internet through access to its Web Server
[ . . . ]
[list]
[] Customer will provide DreamHost Web Hosting with material and data in a condition that is “server-ready”, which is in a form requiring no additional manipulation on the part of DreamHost Web Hosting. DreamHost Web Hosting shall make no effort to validate this information for content, correctness or usability.
[
] Use of DreamHost Web Hosting’s service requires a certain level of knowledge in the use of Internet languages, protocols, and software. This level of knowledge varies depending on the anticipated use and desired content of Customer’s Webspace by the Customer.
[*] The Customer agrees that he or she has the necessary knowledge to create Customer’s Webspace. Customer agrees that it is not the responsibility of DreamHost Web Hosting to provide this knowledge or Customer Support outside of the defined service of DreamHost Web Hosting.[/list][/quote]

Tech Support is for things like actual server issues - not to repair, maintain, or offer advice about our websites because we have no clue about what we’re doing. They’re not an educational service, nor our personal fix-it service, and people who flood the Ticket queue with “issues” that are unrelated to physical system failure accomplish nothing but to slow down response time for those who are reporting actual real problems.

Software support is best sought online (for example in this forum). It is utterly ridiculous that people would sign up to this forum to do nothing more than baselessly whine without having so much as searched for a solution to their problem first.

There are clearly differences in the appropriateness of support tickets. However, I didn’t have access to a portion of my website for more than a day because of a hardware problem (not my fault). It took them over 24 hours to respond to my support ticket. To extend bobcat’s analogy, I do call the power company when the transformer on my block blows up. I don’t really see a difference here.

The analogy was in response to software issues, not hardware as in your case. Please don’t extend my analogy where it’s inappropriate.

Actually, I think the analogy extends quite well. I conceded your point about some complaints being more well-founded than others in the first sentence of my post. I just wanted to note that I think I had a legitimate complaint and still couldn’t get a timely response for my support ticket… it isn’t just people who have broken toasters who are having this trouble.

The point being that you likely didn’t receive a timely response because the line of people complaining about their toasters (which did not come with a warranty in the first place) is stretched across the road blocking the pole-men from getting to your transformer. Neither the initial analogy nor my post that followed it applies to a situation such as the one you outline. Quite to the contrary.