Hacker accessed my database!

I just had a hacker access my database and I have contacted customer service and changed all my passwords. He has deleted all my information within the database. (50,000 posts in my forum, ect.)

I need to know if Dreamhost does any auto-backups on mySQL databases in hopes that I can recover this data lost.

DreamHost does not keep automatic backups of your database specifically (though you should). What they do keep, however, is automatic backups of your entire setup (files and database). See this:

https://panel.dreamhost.com/kbase/index.cgi?area=2585

MacManX.com
I don’t work here. I’m just your typical support forum volunteer.

Thanks. I checked that out. I entered the snapshot directory but all I see is my web folder in there. You mentioned that they backup the whole setup, how can I find a backup of the database?

Thanks for the help

After further digging, it looks like you do need to set up a cron script to backup the database as well. Sorry. Hopefully DH support will have better answers.

MacManX.com

Do you or anyone know if they do complete backups of their whole servers on a daily basis also?

I would assume so.

MacManX.com

How to restore: https://panel.dreamhost.com/kbase/?area=2585
Steps for restoring data on your own :
cd into the hidden directory named .snapshot (it will not show up in any directory listing at all, but it’s there)
Choose how far back you would like to go ( hourly.0 is one hour ago, hourly.1 is two hours ago, nightly.0 is one day ago, nightly.1 is two days ago, weekly.0 it one week ago, weekly.1 is two weeks ago )
Copy the restored file to where you want it. You’re done!

[quote]DreamHost does not keep automatic backups of your database specifically

[/quote]

Really? Where do they say that?

On every DreamHost plan we keep extensive back-ups of your data. Periodically our disk filers take what is known as a “snapshot” of the entire file system as it stands at that time. If you accidentally delete a file you need, contact support, and we’ll try and recover the most recent version of it we can! We recommend you always keep your OWN copy of your entire web site at a remote location as well, but we’ll do our best to make sure that’s never needed. Our filers are completely RAIDed and hot-swappable so if any disk fails no data is lost, and we can replace the disk without any interruption of service! There is no additional cost for these backup features.

Doesn’t exclude DBs there.

Yes, relying on someone else to do your backups is ALWAYS a good idea.

NOT. I have a TON of first hand horror stories I could share. Backups being done but never tested. Magnetic backups trashed, having to rely on printed backups that ended up being lost in the mail. Office staff that was skimming money and tried to destroy backups to hide the proof.

Do your own backups. You will only have your self to blame.

-Jason

I40.com - Home Page
MP3Mystic - Personal Streaming Music server.
(Neither of these sites are still hosted at dreamhost)

[quote]>DreamHost does not keep automatic backups of your database specifically

Really? Where do they say that? […] Doesn’t exclude DBs there.[/quote]

I didn’t exclude DBs. Try reading the entire post before commenting.

“DreamHost does not keep automatic backups of your database specifically (though you should). What they do keep, however, is automatic backups of your entire setup (files and database).”

It certainly doesn’t sound like I’m excluding databases.

MacManX.com

We actually do keep backups of databases - it’s just that they’re not available via the “.snapshots” directory like normal site files. In fact, to get a restore done, you would need to contact TS to do it for you.

We’ll probably find a better way to automate that in the future, because right now it’s a bit of a pain… :>

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

Well, a hacker accessed my database 2 nights ago & wiped it out. It also had almost 50,000 posts. The backup I had was also corrupted. I contacted dreamhost to get it restored.

I got 1 response from a person at Dreamhost telling me they were sending it to level 2 person. That email came over 1 day and 8 hours ago. I have sent a couple more requests and not 1 person to has contacted me as of yet, almost 2 days later.

The site says someone will respond within 24 hours. I haven’t received anything. Can someone explain why?

[quote]I didn’t exclude DBs.

[/quote]

In your first sentence you did. “DreamHost does not keep automatic backups of your database specifically.”

Your two sentences contradicted themselves.

Dreamhost Brian was very kind & apologized for the delay and called me at last night.

They can do a database restore. He did the restore for me. It appears it may have been the wrong database, but they can do it.