Gzip at IE 7

Hi there everyone!

Well, I compressed all the css and javascripts of my site, and It didn’t work only in the IE 7.

The strange thing is that in my .htaccess I have to let the 2 possible ways to use gzip, like this:

AddEncoding gzip .gz
<Files *.css.gz>
ForceType text/css

<Files *.js.gz>
ForceType text/javascript

<FilesMatch ..(js|css)>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} !MSIE
RewriteCond %{HTTP:Accept-encoding} gzip
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME}.gz -f
RewriteRule ^(.
)$ $1.gz [L]

This lines works in firefox, chrome and IE 8. But not in IE 7.

Anyone have an ideia of how could work the gzip compress in any browser?

Thanks!

1. Don’t gzip your files - just upload them as normal

2. Tell Apache to serve them compressed:

[quote].htaccess
[/quote]

SetOutputFilter DEFLATE SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI .(?:gif|jpe?g|png|rar|zip)$ no-gzip dont-varyList extensions you don’t want to be served compressed in the line above.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

Hi there sXi!

Wow, thank you very much for the reply! I’m using your customized php.ini and I also made a donation to you! It’s a honor your reply! =)

Well, I added the lines you said and I saw the apache documentation about it… the site seems much faster to load!

What I don’t understand is why the firefox plugin (page speed) still tell me that I have to compress the css and js files… When I run the analyse performance, it says:
“Compressing the following resources with gzip could reduce their transfer size by about two thirds (~66.6kB).”

Maybe the firefox plugin is only abble to analyses to see if in the directory the css and js files is compressed??

Thanks again!

I’m not familiar with the plug-in you mention. Could be that it’s just parsing the source and noticing that the css and js files are loaded “raw” and not served up as .gz files - giving a “false positive” so to speak. Many users at this forum have always mentioned a FF plug-in called YSlow and I used it when making that installer site to get things optimised. I’d suggest you try it out on your site and see what it has to say.

Set the YSlow Ruleset as “Small Site or Blog” (screenshot: http://i46.tinypic.com/wlvfom.png)

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

You’re right, I run the YSlow and it says the css and js files is compressed… =) I thought it could be an false positive too! Great to head it and thanks again for the help! =D

KarenKoltrane Radio