Growing frustration with DreamHost

Chain emails, each referring to yet a different wiki chapter, each email from support assuming do it yourself capabilities and providing one incomplete answer after another.

This system simply does not work. There is not culture of looking out for the customers instead there is a culture of quick punt. Every advise is incomplete and leaves me with no choice but to ask for clarification. I ask a follow up question only to be sent to another wiki article. My experience with DreamHost support is a disaster!

What do you need help with?

Simon Jessey | Keystone Websites
Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY97[/color]

You didn’t specify a problem, but if they pointed you to the Wiki, I’d guess you asked about something that they don’t support–but someone else has taken the time to write up an article about it. Most of the stuff covered in the Wiki isn’t support’s job… otherwise, there wouldn’t be a need for a wiki. :wink:

Support is basically there to fix problems with the hardware & software that keeps things up and running. Third party scripts are pretty much up to the person installing it, unless the script creator offers support–or someone here (or at other forums) can help.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with 96DOLLARSOFF promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with TAKESEILERSCASH.

I suspect the original poster’s purpose was simply to bitch, as opposed to legitimately seeking help. This is the same fool that, on his first day with Dreamhost, posted “Thumbs Down” for Dreamhost after he contacted support and was only told “how” to unpack a tarball. Seems they only told him how to do it, instead of doing it for him. At any rate, he “borked it” when it came to unpacking the tarball, and vented about how bad support treated him. He is on my “ignore” list until he gets a clue, and from the looks of this post, that will probably be a while. :wink:

–rlparker

<I suspect the original poster’s purpose was simply to bitch, as opposed to legitimately seeking help. This is the same fool that, on his first day with Dreamhost, posted “Thumbs Down” for Dreamhost after he contacted support and was only told “how” to unpack a tarball. Seems they only told him how to do it, instead of doing it for him. At any rate, he “borked it” when it came to unpacking the tarball, and vented about how bad support treated him. He is on my “ignore” list until he gets a clue, and from the looks of this post, that will probably be a while.>

Mr. Parker,

Please keep profanities to a minimum…believe it or not, there are young kids that read these forums and you are violating DH’s Forum rules “Be Nice”. It is not nice to slam peeps if they are seeking assistance or commenting on their personal interactions with DH—what do you really expect in a webhost forum? Forums are usually for two things: 1. peer to peer assistance, 2. to vent…seems like this kid is doing the latter, problem is, you aren’t doing either in this thread.
Btw, running away from trouble “ignoring” will not get you far in this life.

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

wow.

I’ve just re-read my post, in the event that I overlooked something, and I am at a loss as to what “profanities” you might be referring to. If you would like to respond by detailing what “profanity” you object to, I’ll consider editing my post to remove the offending word(s). As for “youngsters” reading these threads, I think it is a “good thing” for young people to see posts like the original poster’s identified for what they are. Maybe they will decide they don’t want to be “that kind of a poster”, and behave accordingly when they participate in a forum.

I’m sorry my post struck you as not being “nice”. As for violating DH’s forum rules, I don’t believe I have. You are free to disagree, and when DH makes you an administrator of this forum, I will adhere to your definitions of what is “nice”, and what is not. I’ll also respond with contrition, and future compliance, to communication about the nature of my posts from any DH moderator. Until that happens, I’ll be my own judge of what is appropriately “nice”. By the way, the “Be Nice” admonition should also apply to posts regarding the Dreamhost staff; there has been a recent trend on this forum of posters unreasonably maligning the Dreamhost staffers who are trying to help users. To complain that they are not doing their jobs professionally becuase one cannot understand the documentation that they are provided in response to their issue is not fair. It is not Dreamhost support’s job to obviate the need to learn something about what you are doing, or how to read the wiki, faqs, man pages, info pages, how-tos, etc.

I agree that it is not nice to “slam peeps” seeking assistance, but I do reserve the right to comment on on public postings about others’ interactions with DH if, and when, I feel they are being unreasonable or unfair in their characterizations of their experience.

I’m not sure that “to vent” is one of the purposes for which this forum was designed, but let’s assume that is was. I expect peer to peer assistance, and I expect the occasional “vent”. I suppose you could call my post such a “vent”: The original poster asked for no assistance, he just whined. There is a poster on the wall in one of my favorite bars that says, “No Sniveling”. Feel free to consider my post the “forum post equivilent” of such a poster :wink: .

“Ignoring” trolls and fools is not “running away from trouble” and actually does further your progression in life; it frees you to spend your time on things that are productive! :slight_smile:

–rlparker