I recently received an email from DH about the need to update the PHP version on a handful of domains. Two of those domains use Google Suite. The instructions to do the upgrade are pretty straightforward and do not appear to have anything to do with MX records.
But all email for those two domains stopped once I did the upgrade. To troubleshoot, I went to Mail > Custom MX and, indeed, all records relating to Google were gone. I opened a chat with DH support and they were able to restore the records for both domains in a couple of minutes.
The rep said that this was their fault. Something like the MX records used to be set in the same place as PHP versions and when I saved my settings for the newer PHP version, it somehow overwrote the MX data. Very confusing to say the least and, in my opinion, totally unacceptable. I undertook the upgrade at DH’s request. And there is nothing in the DH upgrade documentation warning that other settings or preferences will be altered.
Shame on you DreamHost. I expected better from you.