Google changes GMail policy - How does it effect DreamHost customers?

Hello Everyone

About two weeks ago I used the DreamHost panel to create a GMail account with my website’s domain name: me@example.com

I only created one GMail account. Up to 10 GMail accounts per private or small business domain name were free according to Google’s listed prices two weeks ago.

I have just received the following email from Google this evening:

Google Apps customer notice
1 message
The Google Apps Team apps-noreply@google.com
Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 9:48 PM
Reply-To: apps-noreply@google.com

Hello from Google,

Here’s some important news about Google Apps—but don’t worry, there’s no need for you to take any action. We just want you to know that we’re making a change to the packages we offer.

Starting today, we’re no longer accepting new sign-ups for the free version of Google Apps (the version you’re currently using). Because you’re already a customer, this change has no impact on your service, and you can continue to use Google Apps for free.

Should you ever want to upgrade to Google Apps for Business, you’ll enjoy benefits such as 24/7 customer support, a 25 GB inbox, business controls, our 99.9% uptime guarantee, unlimited users and more for just $5 per user, per month.

You can learn more about this change in our Help Center or on the Enterprise Blog.

Thank you for using Google Apps.

Clay Bavor
Director, Google Apps
© 2012 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

You have received this mandatory email service announcement to update you about important changes to your Google Apps product or account.

I was planning to create a second GMail account through the DreamHost panel in January. I guess I will have to start looking for another option.

Iceberg

I got the same e-mail. Its really too bad. Originally you could have 25 e-mail addresses free i believe. Most of my domain names I had signed up before they started giving you only 5 or 10. One can only hope they decide to reverse their decision. I’m not all that fond of squirrelmail so using my domain with gmail at no additional cost was a nice option. If you signed up beforehand you are grandfathered in but new people are sol.

That’s just for Google Apps. It’s not for Gmail, so far as I can tell from the letter, which I also received. Curious, but remember that you have to pay Microsoft for online use of Office apps.

Gmail is treated as part of the “Google Apps” package. Gmail on gmail.com is still free, of course, but if you want any of Google’s services on your domain now, you need to pay for it.

There’s one really obscure loophole where they’ll let you set up a single email address through Google App Engine, but I wouldn’t count on that staying.

Meaning that, other than Gmail, if you want something free, Google is history.

I first thought this only applied to businesses, I got the same e-mail for a Google Apps for Business account, but did not get one for my private Google Apps account.

The information available is also confusing, their blog post is entitled “Changes to Google Apps for Businesses” (not individuals) and it still mentions a free Google account for individuals, but that appears not to be the same as an Apps account.

Ref. http://googleenterprise.blogspot.com/2012/12/changes-to-google-apps-for-businesses.html

That is too bad. Just about to set up a few domains and plan to use gmail :frowning:

I’ve missed the boat

Provided you already have a free apps.google.com account, you can still (i.e. as of today) add another domain to it.

In the dashboard, click on ‘domain settings’, then on ‘domain names’, then on ‘Add a domain or domain alias’, then check the radio button at ‘Add another domain: Manage users and groups at an associated domain that you own, independently of the primary domain.’

This will take you to the ‘verify that you own this domain’ page.

I would guess (haven’t tested it yet) that the limit on the number of users which your free account allows is spread across all the domains which it is managing.

~Tom

Some alternatives:
[list]
[]Microsoft - Hotmail
[
]Zoho - Zohomail
[/list]

So far as I can tell, you can still get a gmail account. It’s the policy about the apps themselves that changed.

Yes Gmail is still as free as ever, and you can still get a Google account for free. It’s just the apps part, which was really a very easy way to have your domain’s e-mail handled. It would be nice if there was someone providing a similar service, because while Google tells us that we can continue to use the free version if we had it already, one has to wonder how long that will last. (Or maybe it’s going to get all sorts of restrictions.)

I wouldn’t mind a paid version for personal use if it were a lot cheaper. Because while 50$ per user may be fine for a normal business, for a personal setup that’s extremely expensive, with 6 users (as mine has) that would come to 300$ per year.

Would love to hear DH’s take on this. Maybe time for a webmail system upgrade?

What are other Dreamhosters doing?

We’re talking about this internally already. I can’t tell you anything because I actually don’t know right now. I do know I was as surprised as you were on Friday! Custom domains with gmail are very popular for a lot of people (like all users of WordPress.com who are going to be hit hard). Many places don’t let you have email, but host your website. :frowning:

Your existing domains should be just fine unless Google wants a loooot of angry backlash.

Thanks for looking at this. As you mentioned my existing domain is fine for now (plus I have hosting so I can fall back to DH webmail) but I have just convinced a friend to sign up for his own domain–one week too late!

He fits right into the group you are talking about–probably will use wordpress to produce a site but needs an email address. It would be great if we can find and recommend some alternatives.

I don’t know of any good free alternatives, Google, Microsoft, and all the others charge for email. Some aren’t much (like a couple bucks a month), but I guess there ain’t no such thing as a free email anymore. Obviously you can use our DreamHost email if you’re hosted here, though :slight_smile:

It doesn’t have to be free. If someone is paying $10 per year for a domain name and approaching $100 per year for simple hosting, they might reasonably expect to pay $20 or $30 per year for reliable email.

The problem is simply that the paid-for version of apps.google.com is ridiculously expensive.

~Tom

At last, an issue that made me sign into the forums…

A few years back, Dreamhost was extremely happy to offer customers a google apps to manage all-things-email… while -apparently- forgetting about updating their own offering to something a bit more modern.

I didn’t really care about the change (registered my domain after december 6, so couldn’t get the free option for google apps…) until i realized that I’d have to deal with email using gasp SquirrelMail instead of RoundCube (We use it at work, and it’s great).

I trust Dreamhost will find a great solution to this though. On the other hand… I’ll keep an eye on anything too-good from the guys at Google, they might drop another bomb like this.

Dreamhost offers Roundcube. My quibble with DH is that the email system needs to be updated with better anti-spam and anti-virus tools. Right now, it leaves far too many obvious junk mails unflagged. Not good.

How do you access said RC?

Check your Webmail settings for an email account in the DH control panel. There’s an option there labeled “Enable RoundCube Webmail.”

It also has a beta label, but seems to work just fine.