Goofy behavior from FTP in XP's Network Places

I’ve been experimenting with ftp accounts on Dreamhost but my testing got derailed by strange behavior of XP’s FTP client build into Windows Explorer.

I made an FTP user on Dreamhost called ykfpftp2 with a home directory under the home directory on my main shell account.

Then I made an FTP user on Dreamhost called yakedt and used the default home directory settings. In Windows XP I went through “Add a Network Place” to add a connection to yakedt@kiki.dreamhost.com with user id yakedt. I connected with it and it showed me the yakedt home directory and I was able to drop off files.

Then I went through “Add a Network Place” to add a connection to my ykfpftp2 account. Although I specify that I want the connection to go to kiki.dreamhost.com with user name ykfpftp2, or if specify the connection to be ftp://ykfpftp2@kiki.dreamhost.com, XP Windows Explorer seems to over ride me, like Hal, saying “Stupid human, it really meant to type yakedt”, and my connection is shifted to the yakedt account. The address box in Explorer even begins displaying ftp://ykfpftp2@kiki.dreamhost.com, the little flashlight comes on, then the address magically goes to ftp://yakedt@kiki.dreamhost.com.

I can hook up just fine to both ftp accounts with a UNIX command line ftp, or with a different ftp client (Reflection X) running on this XP.

How is it that Microsoft is no. 1 in operating systems?

Microsoft software has a longstanding tendency to do what it thinks you really want, rather than what you actually told it to do.

– Dan