Good Morning! Simple help w/ uploading files to root

Have laid out basic splash page w/ links on local computer…works, shows up in safari, firefox.

Have used FileZilla to upload to my root directory on dreamhost and keep getting “404 error”. I’ve used the ftp://mydomain.com function and site comes up…

Where should my files be in order to come up on the internet?

Right now, “index.htm” and others are in the dreamhost /home/mydomain folder…

Thanks!

Your home directory should be /home/USER/

when you add hosting to a domain on the manage domains page, you must associate that hosting with a USER. When you do so the system will automatically create a directory called MYDOMAIN.COM in the users directory. Your index.html should go there. Thus the full path to index.html will be /home/USER/MYDOMAIN.COM/index.html

Check the “web hosting” column on the “Manage Domains” if you need to see what USER the domain is associated with.

stupid follow on question as I seem to be having the same problem: in “/home/USER/MYDOMAIN.COM/index.html” The “user” and “my domain.com” actually change to whatever we’ve registered already? (i.e.: mine is a my domain.net so that’s what I’d list?)

Correct. The items in all caps change to your actual shell/ftp user name and your actual domain name. Normally I type that as part of the answer… but failed to in this case…