Good deal

Get lost, spammer scum.

Simon Jessey | Keystone Websites
Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY97[/color]

I’ve yet to see a single good reason to allow anonymous posting–including legit presales questions. I just put a suggestion in to disable it.

If someone can’t take a minute to register, they don’t have a question worth asking.

If a few spammers register to spam, at least it wastes a few minutes of their time, like their posts wastes the time of others.

Edit to add: Besides, the legit anonymous posters end up having to register anyway, to reply to the threads, so that makes anonymous posting even more useless.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.

I’ll definitely be voting for that.

Simon Jessey | Keystone Websites
Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY97[/color]

Yeah, I could never really understand the value in allowing anonymous posts when the poster still has to register to further participate in their own thread anyway.

I too will definitely be voting for your suggestion.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

I agree, it is widely accepted these days that if you wish to post on a forum you will need to register, why this forum allows posting registration is beyond me.

Web Hosting Reviews | Shonky’s Blog | Hot Product Directory

I reckon the admins have lost the instructions!

Norm

Opinions are my own views, not DreamHosts’.
I am NOT a DreamHost employee OK!! :@

You act on my advice at your own risk!

Shhhh. Allow us a little job security. We need something to pad our daily work reports with.

Same here.

Simon,

I just went to the suggestion section of the panel to vote for your suggestion, but it is not listed ! (The most recent “open suggestion” is dated September 5, 2006). I’m only mentioning it so that you know it your suggestion appears to have “not taken”.

Do you think we should “suggest” it again, or what?

–rlparker

I’m not Simon… but I did make the suggestion. :wink:

It can take awhile for them to update, especially since they seem pretty busy lately.

Also, if they like it, they sometimes just implement it and it never even shows up in the panel.

I suggested showing more about what a domain is doing in the Manage Domains section of the panel… logged into the panel and it was done. I’m talking about how you see mirror (www.something.com), redirect (www.something.com), etc…

I have a lot of domains, so it was a pain having to hit the edit button on everyone to see which ones were doing what.

I think if something is easy to implement, won’t have any downsides, and is actually useful–they just go ahead and add the feature.

I also usually include explanations with suggestions about how I think it helps them–and users. In that case, I think I said it would obviously cut back on bandwidth and number of requests to the panel servers. I’d imagine most users only have a domain or two, and wouldn’t really need it–but at the same time, it was a handy feature that doesn’t inconvenience those that don’t require it.

Then sometimes I add something to see if they’re actually reading them… like, “… and if you think this is a good idea, please deliver a new black BMW 760Li to my billing address on file. Thanks.” So far, I still don’t have a new 760Li… or a big box of cash that I think I requested with another suggestion. Waaaaa

I thought of another reason to disable anonymous posting: It would eliminate the anonymous post, followed by the “hey, that’s me!” post by the registered user that forgot to log in. :stuck_out_tongue:

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.

Oops! Sorry 'bout that, Mike! I got myself confused in the threading - I hate it when that happens. At any rate, thanks for the suggestion, and I’ll vote for it if it ever appears in the suggestion list.

–rlparker

As forum admin or mod on three forums I can vouch for the non-anonymous posting.

But it doesn’t solve the spammer problem - there are plenty of outfits out there willing to sit around and register all day long - including the security codes and replying to their email and anything else it takes.

This is especially true for forums where html signatures are used because any link allowed in the sig propogates to all of that accounts posts.

Still, anonymous posting is never really a good thing, and should be turned off.

so many roads…
so little time.