Going live questions

Hi,

I’ve been developing my joomla website using a “dreamhosters” domain. Is there a document that states the necessary steps to switch this to a registered domain? I would be switching an existing domain to dreamhost as part of the process.

Not that I am aware of, though there are several threads detailing ways to approach this on these forums.

In essence, you need to decide if you want to keep the ability to use the “one-click” robot to accomplish future upgrades. If this is important to you, it is probably best to just re-install a new “one-click” Joomla! on the “new” domain, export your data from the “old” Joomla! database, and import it into the new database.

If that is not important to you (and, frankly, the arrival of Joomla 1.5 may result in no “one-click upgrade” for that version, as there is a considerably more complicated migration process to convert from 1.x to 1.5), and if you don’t need that “dreamhosters” dev domain to still be functional as a Joomla! site, you can simply rename the existing somethng.dreamhosters.com directory to the base of the new domain (or point the domain to the existing directory), change a couple of entries in text files on the server, make a couple of adjustments in the Joomla! back end, and you are done!

–rlparker

It looks like the best way to do this is to create YOURDOMAIN.COM here and create your Joomla website there, even though it’s not live yet. Then have YOURDOMAIN.dreamhosters.com mirror your setup.

At least according to the wiki and my personal opinion.
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/DNS_-_Viewing_site_before_DNS_change

-Scott